Re: Hello all I am new to json so I have a few questions

  • Don Owens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
      Yes, via the parseJSON method called on a string (see
      http://www.json.org/json.js). Don't use eval() unless the JSON is
      from a trusted source, i.e., you know there are no function calls in
      there.

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@...> wrote:

      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "marcrbraincast" <marcrbraincast@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > <cut>

      > > > Thank you for the information, I guess that I need to read
      > better.
      > > > Here is the biggest question that I have, lets say I have a
      > string
      > > >
      > > > var test = {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob
      > > > Jones"},{"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]};
      > > >
      > > > Can I decode this back into an object?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks again for the help,
      > > > -T
      > > >

      > > the var test is already an object.
      > > It's an object with one array which holds 4 objects.
      > >
      > > var str = "{'output':['name':'Michelle']}";
      > > would make a string...
      > >

      > I am new to some of this so I might not be clear, I am woking with
      > ajax and I am getting a string returned from another webpage that is
      > JSON encoded. When I recieve it it is then consittered a string. I
      > would like to take this returned string
      > {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob Jones"},
      > {"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]}
      > and put it back into a javascript object. Can I do that with decode?
      >
      > Thanks for the help,
      > -T

    • Mark Ireland
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
        Somewhat smaller? I was thinking a large object would be shrunk by half
        because there would be no repetition of the columnnames everywhere. . ...

        And I thought my idea would make getting a value as easy as

        myJSON["js63009"].Company

        I suppose the list of columnnames could be an array since people would
        propbably make it into one so they can loop over it?

        >Then it would probably become something like this:
        >
        >{"totalItems":40,"itemsFound":2,"UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],"columnnames":["Company","Title","Name","Phone","Email"],"items":{"js63013":["A1
        >Services","CEO","Jane Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@a1service
        >s.com"],"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
        >Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}}
        >
        >But although that probably results in a somewhat smaller json string I
        >don't really see a benefit, in fact, the object looks a lot more
        >difficult to get the value's form.

        Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely Planet
        guides.
        http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404
      • marcrbraincast
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
          Okay, fair enough... it will get smaller...
          You could indeed loose the list of columns and even the UNIQUEIDS and
          the totalItems...

          Not sure what the itemsFound does...

          var j = {"itemsFound":2,
          "items":[
          {"js63013":["A1 Services","CEO","Jane
          Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@..."]},
          {"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
          Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}
          ]
          };
          window.onload = function(){
          var txt = "";
          var col = j.items;
          var totalitems = j.items.length;
          for (var i=0;i<totalitems;i++){
          for (j in col[i]){
          txt += col[i][j] + " \n";

          alert(totalitems + "\n" + txt);
          }

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@...> wrote:

          > Somewhat smaller? I was thinking a large object would be shrunk by half
          > because there would be no repetition of the columnnames everywhere.
          . ...