Re: json keys

  • Don Owens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
      Do you mean the other way around? I.e., using unquoted keys? The
      JSON spec says that the keys must be quoted. The reason for this is
      that there is a bug in Javascript where it will treat a key as a
      keyword if it is unquoted and matches a keyword. Javascript is not
      smart enough to realize it should not be treating the key as a keyword.

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@...> wrote:

      > For a smaller jsObject can there be a json variable like this:
      >
      > {"totalItems":40, "itemsFound":2,
      "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
      > "columnnames":["Company,Title,Name,Phone,Email"], items: ["js63013":
      > {"A1 Services",
      > "CEO",
      > "Jane Jones",
      > "800-555-2121",
      > "janejones@..."},
      >
      > "js63009":{"Acme",
      > "President",
      > "John Smith",
      > "800-555-1212",
      > "johnsmith@..."}
      > ]}
      >

      > rather than this:
      >
      > {SalesDatabase2:
      > {totalItems:40, itemsFound:2, items: [
      > {Company:"A1 Services",
      > Title:"CEO",
      > Name:"Jane Jones",
      > Phone:"800-555-2121",
      > Email:"janejones@..."},
      >
      > {Company:"Acme",
      > Title:"President",
      > Name:"John Smith",
      > Phone:"800-555-1212",
      > Email:"johnsmith@..."}
      > ]}
      > }

      > Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely Planet
      > guides.

      http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404

    • Don Owens
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
        Yes, via the parseJSON method called on a string (see
        http://www.json.org/json.js). Don't use eval() unless the JSON is
        from a trusted source, i.e., you know there are no function calls in
        there.

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@...> wrote:

        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "marcrbraincast" <marcrbraincast@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > <cut>

        > > > Thank you for the information, I guess that I need to read
        > better.
        > > > Here is the biggest question that I have, lets say I have a
        > string
        > > >
        > > > var test = {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob
        > > > Jones"},{"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]};
        > > >
        > > > Can I decode this back into an object?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks again for the help,
        > > > -T
        > > >

        > > the var test is already an object.
        > > It's an object with one array which holds 4 objects.
        > >
        > > var str = "{'output':['name':'Michelle']}";
        > > would make a string...
        > >

        > I am new to some of this so I might not be clear, I am woking with
        > ajax and I am getting a string returned from another webpage that is
        > JSON encoded. When I recieve it it is then consittered a string. I
        > would like to take this returned string
        > {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob Jones"},
        > {"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]}
        > and put it back into a javascript object. Can I do that with decode?
        >
        > Thanks for the help,
        > -T

      • Mark Ireland
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
          Somewhat smaller? I was thinking a large object would be shrunk by half
          because there would be no repetition of the columnnames everywhere. . ...

          And I thought my idea would make getting a value as easy as

          myJSON["js63009"].Company

          I suppose the list of columnnames could be an array since people would
          propbably make it into one so they can loop over it?

          >Then it would probably become something like this:
          >
          >{"totalItems":40,"itemsFound":2,"UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],"columnnames":["Company","Title","Name","Phone","Email"],"items":{"js63013":["A1
          >Services","CEO","Jane Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@a1service
          >s.com"],"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
          >Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}}
          >
          >But although that probably results in a somewhat smaller json string I
          >don't really see a benefit, in fact, the object looks a lot more
          >difficult to get the value's form.

          Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely Planet
          guides.
          http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404
        • marcrbraincast
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
            Okay, fair enough... it will get smaller...
            You could indeed loose the list of columns and even the UNIQUEIDS and
            the totalItems...

            Not sure what the itemsFound does...

            var j = {"itemsFound":2,
            "items":[
            {"js63013":["A1 Services","CEO","Jane
            Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@..."]},
            {"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
            Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}
            ]
            };
            window.onload = function(){
            var txt = "";
            var col = j.items;
            var totalitems = j.items.length;
            for (var i=0;i<totalitems;i++){
            for (j in col[i]){
            txt += col[i][j] + " \n";

            alert(totalitems + "\n" + txt);
            }

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@...> wrote:

            > Somewhat smaller? I was thinking a large object would be shrunk by half
            > because there would be no repetition of the columnnames everywhere.
            . ...