Re: Hello all I am new to json so I have a few questions

  • marcrbraincast
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Joseph" <dmjoseph@...> wrote:

      > I am new to some of this so I might not be clear, I am woking with
      >
      > > ajax and I am getting a string returned from another webpage that is
      > > JSON encoded. When I recieve it it is then consittered a string. I
      > > would like to take this returned string
      > > {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob Jones"},
      > > {"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]}
      > > and put it back into a javascript object. Can I do that with decode?
      > >
      > > _._,___
      > >

      > ---------------------
      >
      > I think you might be looking for eval(). Here is what I do with my json
      > requests:
      >
      > { "errors" :
      > [
      > { "code" : "OK" }
      > ];
      > "cells" :
      > [';
      > { "cell" : "none" }
      > ] }
      >
      > var j = eval('('+ xmlhttp.responseText +')');
      >
      > And then they are accessible in the form of: j.errors[0].code so if
      I do an
      > alert( j.errors[0].code ); I'd get OK (the value of code). I'm
      pretty new
      > to this also, so you may want to take my brief example and search around
      > yahoo and google for a similar more in depth tutorial.
      >
      > --
      > -Dan Joseph
      >
      > "Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the rest of the day.
      > Light a man on fire, and will be warm for the rest of his life."

      Hi Guys,

      That would mean that you are letting javascript evaluating possible
      unsafe json... thats why you should either use json.js from Douglas
      (http://www.json.org/json.js) or the JSON.js from devpro.it...

      If the json object/string is safe because you are generating it or it
      comes from a safe source... then by all means use eval()...

      I am unfamiliar with the JSON.js library so I would say give it a go
      with the JSONError.js in there as well... if it still gives problems
      you might want to use http://www.jslint.com/lint.html to check the
      json... otherwise, why don't you ask the guy from devpro.it?

      And then there's always the possibility to just post as much code as
      you are willing to share with the json so we can test it and see what
      errors you are getting ;p
    • Mark Ireland
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
        For a smaller jsObject can there be a json variable like this:

        {"totalItems":40, "itemsFound":2, "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
        "columnnames":["Company,Title,Name,Phone,Email"], items: ["js63013":
        {"A1 Services",
        "CEO",
        "Jane Jones",
        "800-555-2121",
        "janejones@..."},

        "js63009":{"Acme",
        "President",
        "John Smith",
        "800-555-1212",
        "johnsmith@..."}
        ]}

        rather than this:

        {SalesDatabase2:
        {totalItems:40, itemsFound:2, items: [
        {Company:"A1 Services",
        Title:"CEO",
        Name:"Jane Jones",
        Phone:"800-555-2121",
        Email:"janejones@..."},

        {Company:"Acme",
        Title:"President",
        Name:"John Smith",
        Phone:"800-555-1212",
        Email:"johnsmith@..."}
        ]}

        Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely Planet
        guides.
        http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404
      • marcrbraincast
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@...> wrote:

          > For a smaller jsObject can there be a json variable like this:
          >
          > {"totalItems":40, "itemsFound":2,
          "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
          > "columnnames":["Company,Title,Name,Phone,Email"], items: ["js63013":
          > {"A1 Services",
          > "CEO",
          > "Jane Jones",
          > "800-555-2121",
          > "janejones@..."},
          >
          > "js63009":{"Acme",
          > "President",
          > "John Smith",
          > "800-555-1212",
          > "johnsmith@..."}
          > ]}
          >

          > rather than this:
          >
          > {SalesDatabase2:
          > {totalItems:40, itemsFound:2, items: [
          > {Company:"A1 Services",
          > Title:"CEO",
          > Name:"Jane Jones",
          > Phone:"800-555-2121",
          > Email:"janejones@..."},
          >
          > {Company:"Acme",
          > Title:"President",
          > Name:"John Smith",
          > Phone:"800-555-1212",
          > Email:"johnsmith@..."}
          > ]}
          > }

          > Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely Planet
          > guides.

          http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404

          Then it would probably become something like this:

          {"totalItems":40,"itemsFound":2,"UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],"columnnames":["Company","Title","Name","Phone","Email"],"items":{"js63013":["A1
          Services","CEO","Jane Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@a1service
          s.com"],"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
          Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}}

          But although that probably results in a somewhat smaller json string I
          don't really see a benefit, in fact, the object looks a lot more
          difficult to get the value's form.
        • marcrbraincast
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "marcrbraincast" <marcrbraincast@...> wrote:

            > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@> wrote:
            > >

            > > For a smaller jsObject can there be a json variable like this:
            > >
            > > {"totalItems":40, "itemsFound":2,
            > "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
            > > "columnnames":["Company,Title,Name,Phone,Email"], items: ["js63013":
            > > {"A1 Services",
            > > "CEO",
            > > "Jane Jones",
            > > "800-555-2121",
            > > "janejones@"},
            > >
            > > "js63009":{"Acme",
            > > "President",
            > > "John Smith",
            > > "800-555-1212",
            > > "johnsmith@"}
            > > ]}
            > >

            > > rather than this:
            > >
            > > {SalesDatabase2:
            > > {totalItems:40, itemsFound:2, items: [
            > > {Company:"A1 Services",
            > > Title:"CEO",
            > > Name:"Jane Jones",
            > > Phone:"800-555-2121",
            > > Email:"janejones@"},
            > >
            > > {Company:"Acme",
            > > Title:"President",
            > > Name:"John Smith",
            > > Phone:"800-555-1212",
            > > Email:"johnsmith@"}
            > > ]}
            > > }

            > > Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely
            Planet
            > > guides.

            http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404

            > Then it would probably become something like this:

            {"totalItems":40,"itemsFound":2,"UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],"columnnames":["Company","Title","Name","Phone","Email"],"items":{"js63013":["A1
            > Services","CEO","Jane Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@a1service
            > s.com"],"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
            > Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}}
            >
            > But although that probably results in a somewhat smaller json string I
            > don't really see a benefit, in fact, the object looks a lot more
            > difficult to get the value's form.

            grrr.... let's try that again... :/

            {"totalItems":40,
            "itemsFound":2,
            "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
            "columnnames":["Company","Title","Name","Phone","Email"],
            "items":{"js63013":
            ["A1 Services","CEO","Jane Jones",
            "800-555-2121","janejones@..."],
            "js63009":
            [" Acme","President","John Smith",
            "800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}}
          • Don Owens
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
              Do you mean the other way around? I.e., using unquoted keys? The
              JSON spec says that the keys must be quoted. The reason for this is
              that there is a bug in Javascript where it will treat a key as a
              keyword if it is unquoted and matches a keyword. Javascript is not
              smart enough to realize it should not be treating the key as a keyword.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
                Yes, via the parseJSON method called on a string (see
                http://www.json.org/json.js). Don't use eval() unless the JSON is
                from a trusted source, i.e., you know there are no function calls in
                there.

                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@...> wrote:

                > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "marcrbraincast" <marcrbraincast@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > <cut>

                > > > Thank you for the information, I guess that I need to read
                > better.
                > > > Here is the biggest question that I have, lets say I have a
                > string
                > > >
                > > > var test = {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob
                > > > Jones"},{"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]};
                > > >
                > > > Can I decode this back into an object?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks again for the help,
                > > > -T
                > > >

                > > the var test is already an object.
                > > It's an object with one array which holds 4 objects.
                > >
                > > var str = "{'output':['name':'Michelle']}";
                > > would make a string...
                > >

                > I am new to some of this so I might not be clear, I am woking with
                > ajax and I am getting a string returned from another webpage that is
                > JSON encoded. When I recieve it it is then consittered a string. I
                > would like to take this returned string
                > {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob Jones"},
                > {"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]}
                > and put it back into a javascript object. Can I do that with decode?
                >
                > Thanks for the help,
                > -T

              • Mark Ireland
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
                  Somewhat smaller? I was thinking a large object would be shrunk by half
                  because there would be no repetition of the columnnames everywhere. . ...

                  And I thought my idea would make getting a value as easy as

                  myJSON["js63009"].Company

                  I suppose the list of columnnames could be an array since people would
                  propbably make it into one so they can loop over it?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
                    Okay, fair enough... it will get smaller...
                    You could indeed loose the list of columns and even the UNIQUEIDS and
                    the totalItems...

                    Not sure what the itemsFound does...

                    var j = {"itemsFound":2,
                    "items":[
                    {"js63013":["A1 Services","CEO","Jane
                    Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@..."]},
                    {"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
                    Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}
                    ]
                    };
                    window.onload = function(){
                    var txt = "";
                    var col = j.items;
                    var totalitems = j.items.length;
                    for (var i=0;i<totalitems;i++){
                    for (j in col[i]){
                    txt += col[i][j] + " \n";

                    alert(totalitems + "\n" + txt);
                    }

                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@...> wrote:

                    > Somewhat smaller? I was thinking a large object would be shrunk by half
                    > because there would be no repetition of the columnnames everywhere.
                    . ...