Re: Hello all I am new to json so I have a few questions

  • timgerr
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 27 11:04 AM
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "marcrbraincast" <marcrbraincast@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@> wrote:
      > >
      > <cut>
      > > >
      > > > The page reads:
      > > >
      > > > Dependencies
      > > > JSONError.js
      > > >
      > > > I guess you need that file included too...
      > > >

      > > Thank you for the information, I guess that I need to read
      better.
      > > Here is the biggest question that I have, lets say I have a
      string

      > > var test = {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob
      > > Jones"},{"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]};
      > >
      > > Can I decode this back into an object?
      > >
      > > Thanks again for the help,
      > > -T
      > >

      > the var test is already an object.
      > It's an object with one array which holds 4 objects.
      >
      > var str = "{'output':['name':'Michelle']}";
      > would make a string...

      I am new to some of this so I might not be clear, I am woking with
      ajax and I am getting a string returned from another webpage that is
      JSON encoded. When I recieve it it is then consittered a string. I
      would like to take this returned string
      {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob Jones"},
      {"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]}
      and put it back into a javascript object. Can I do that with decode?

      Thanks for the help,
      -T
    • Dan Joseph
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 27 12:43 PM
        I am new to some of this so I might not be clear, I am woking with

        > ajax and I am getting a string returned from another webpage that is
        > JSON encoded. When I recieve it it is then consittered a string. I
        > would like to take this returned string
        > {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob Jones"},
        > {"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]}
        > and put it back into a javascript object. Can I do that with decode?
        >
        > _._,___

        ---------------------

        I think you might be looking for eval(). Here is what I do with my json
        requests:

        { "errors" :
        [
        { "code" : "OK" }
        ];
        "cells" :
        [';
        { "cell" : "none" }
        ] }

        var j = eval('('+ xmlhttp.responseText +')');

        And then they are accessible in the form of: j.errors[0].code so if I do an
        alert( j.errors[0].code ); I'd get OK (the value of code). I'm pretty new
        to this also, so you may want to take my brief example and search around
        yahoo and google for a similar more in depth tutorial.

        --
        -Dan Joseph

        "Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the rest of the day.
        Light a man on fire, and will be warm for the rest of his life."

      • marcrbraincast
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 27 12:58 PM
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Joseph" <dmjoseph@...> wrote:

          > I am new to some of this so I might not be clear, I am woking with
          >
          > > ajax and I am getting a string returned from another webpage that is
          > > JSON encoded. When I recieve it it is then consittered a string. I
          > > would like to take this returned string
          > > {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob Jones"},
          > > {"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]}
          > > and put it back into a javascript object. Can I do that with decode?
          > >
          > > _._,___
          > >

          > ---------------------
          >
          > I think you might be looking for eval(). Here is what I do with my json
          > requests:
          >
          > { "errors" :
          > [
          > { "code" : "OK" }
          > ];
          > "cells" :
          > [';
          > { "cell" : "none" }
          > ] }
          >
          > var j = eval('('+ xmlhttp.responseText +')');
          >
          > And then they are accessible in the form of: j.errors[0].code so if
          I do an
          > alert( j.errors[0].code ); I'd get OK (the value of code). I'm
          pretty new
          > to this also, so you may want to take my brief example and search around
          > yahoo and google for a similar more in depth tutorial.
          >
          > --
          > -Dan Joseph
          >
          > "Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the rest of the day.
          > Light a man on fire, and will be warm for the rest of his life."

          Hi Guys,

          That would mean that you are letting javascript evaluating possible
          unsafe json... thats why you should either use json.js from Douglas
          (http://www.json.org/json.js) or the JSON.js from devpro.it...

          If the json object/string is safe because you are generating it or it
          comes from a safe source... then by all means use eval()...

          I am unfamiliar with the JSON.js library so I would say give it a go
          with the JSONError.js in there as well... if it still gives problems
          you might want to use http://www.jslint.com/lint.html to check the
          json... otherwise, why don't you ask the guy from devpro.it?

          And then there's always the possibility to just post as much code as
          you are willing to share with the json so we can test it and see what
          errors you are getting ;p
        • Mark Ireland
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 27 9:53 PM
            For a smaller jsObject can there be a json variable like this:

            {"totalItems":40, "itemsFound":2, "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
            "columnnames":["Company,Title,Name,Phone,Email"], items: ["js63013":
            {"A1 Services",
            "CEO",
            "Jane Jones",
            "800-555-2121",
            "janejones@..."},

            "js63009":{"Acme",
            "President",
            "John Smith",
            "800-555-1212",
            "johnsmith@..."}
            ]}

            rather than this:

            {SalesDatabase2:
            {totalItems:40, itemsFound:2, items: [
            {Company:"A1 Services",
            Title:"CEO",
            Name:"Jane Jones",
            Phone:"800-555-2121",
            Email:"janejones@..."},

            {Company:"Acme",
            Title:"President",
            Name:"John Smith",
            Phone:"800-555-1212",
            Email:"johnsmith@..."}
            ]}

            Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely Planet
            guides.
            http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404
          • marcrbraincast
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 27 11:31 PM
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@...> wrote:

              > For a smaller jsObject can there be a json variable like this:
              >
              > {"totalItems":40, "itemsFound":2,
              "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
              > "columnnames":["Company,Title,Name,Phone,Email"], items: ["js63013":
              > {"A1 Services",
              > "CEO",
              > "Jane Jones",
              > "800-555-2121",
              > "janejones@..."},
              >
              > "js63009":{"Acme",
              > "President",
              > "John Smith",
              > "800-555-1212",
              > "johnsmith@..."}
              > ]}
              >

              > rather than this:
              >
              > {SalesDatabase2:
              > {totalItems:40, itemsFound:2, items: [
              > {Company:"A1 Services",
              > Title:"CEO",
              > Name:"Jane Jones",
              > Phone:"800-555-2121",
              > Email:"janejones@..."},
              >
              > {Company:"Acme",
              > Title:"President",
              > Name:"John Smith",
              > Phone:"800-555-1212",
              > Email:"johnsmith@..."}
              > ]}
              > }

              > Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely Planet
              > guides.

              http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404

              Then it would probably become something like this:

              {"totalItems":40,"itemsFound":2,"UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],"columnnames":["Company","Title","Name","Phone","Email"],"items":{"js63013":["A1
              Services","CEO","Jane Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@a1service
              s.com"],"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
              Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}}

              But although that probably results in a somewhat smaller json string I
              don't really see a benefit, in fact, the object looks a lot more
              difficult to get the value's form.
            • marcrbraincast
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 27 11:36 PM
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "marcrbraincast" <marcrbraincast@...> wrote:

                > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@> wrote:
                > >

                > > For a smaller jsObject can there be a json variable like this:
                > >
                > > {"totalItems":40, "itemsFound":2,
                > "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
                > > "columnnames":["Company,Title,Name,Phone,Email"], items: ["js63013":
                > > {"A1 Services",
                > > "CEO",
                > > "Jane Jones",
                > > "800-555-2121",
                > > "janejones@"},
                > >
                > > "js63009":{"Acme",
                > > "President",
                > > "John Smith",
                > > "800-555-1212",
                > > "johnsmith@"}
                > > ]}
                > >

                > > rather than this:
                > >
                > > {SalesDatabase2:
                > > {totalItems:40, itemsFound:2, items: [
                > > {Company:"A1 Services",
                > > Title:"CEO",
                > > Name:"Jane Jones",
                > > Phone:"800-555-2121",
                > > Email:"janejones@"},
                > >
                > > {Company:"Acme",
                > > Title:"President",
                > > Name:"John Smith",
                > > Phone:"800-555-1212",
                > > Email:"johnsmith@"}
                > > ]}
                > > }

                > > Advertisement: ninemsn Travel - Hot deals, travel ideas & Lonely
                Planet
                > > guides.

                http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=799&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/compIntro.aspx?compId=2404

                > Then it would probably become something like this:

                {"totalItems":40,"itemsFound":2,"UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],"columnnames":["Company","Title","Name","Phone","Email"],"items":{"js63013":["A1
                > Services","CEO","Jane Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@a1service
                > s.com"],"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
                > Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}}
                >
                > But although that probably results in a somewhat smaller json string I
                > don't really see a benefit, in fact, the object looks a lot more
                > difficult to get the value's form.

                grrr.... let's try that again... :/

                {"totalItems":40,
                "itemsFound":2,
                "UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009"],
                "columnnames":["Company","Title","Name","Phone","Email"],
                "items":{"js63013":
                ["A1 Services","CEO","Jane Jones",
                "800-555-2121","janejones@..."],
                "js63009":
                [" Acme","President","John Smith",
                "800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}}
              • Don Owens
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 28 8:57 AM
                  Do you mean the other way around? I.e., using unquoted keys? The
                  JSON spec says that the keys must be quoted. The reason for this is
                  that there is a bug in Javascript where it will treat a key as a
                  keyword if it is unquoted and matches a keyword. Javascript is not
                  smart enough to realize it should not be treating the key as a keyword.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 28 9:05 AM
                    Yes, via the parseJSON method called on a string (see
                    http://www.json.org/json.js). Don't use eval() unless the JSON is
                    from a trusted source, i.e., you know there are no function calls in
                    there.

                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@...> wrote:

                    > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "marcrbraincast" <marcrbraincast@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "timgerr" <tim.gallagher@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > <cut>

                    > > > Thank you for the information, I guess that I need to read
                    > better.
                    > > > Here is the biggest question that I have, lets say I have a
                    > string
                    > > >
                    > > > var test = {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob
                    > > > Jones"},{"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]};
                    > > >
                    > > > Can I decode this back into an object?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks again for the help,
                    > > > -T
                    > > >

                    > > the var test is already an object.
                    > > It's an object with one array which holds 4 objects.
                    > >
                    > > var str = "{'output':['name':'Michelle']}";
                    > > would make a string...
                    > >

                    > I am new to some of this so I might not be clear, I am woking with
                    > ajax and I am getting a string returned from another webpage that is
                    > JSON encoded. When I recieve it it is then consittered a string. I
                    > would like to take this returned string
                    > {"outPut":[{"name":"Michelle Gallagher"},{"name":"Bob Jones"},
                    > {"name":"tester"},{"name":"Administrator"}]}
                    > and put it back into a javascript object. Can I do that with decode?
                    >
                    > Thanks for the help,
                    > -T

                  • Mark Ireland
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 28 4:20 PM
                      Somewhat smaller? I was thinking a large object would be shrunk by half
                      because there would be no repetition of the columnnames everywhere. . ...

                      And I thought my idea would make getting a value as easy as

                      myJSON["js63009"].Company

                      I suppose the list of columnnames could be an array since people would
                      propbably make it into one so they can loop over it?

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 29 12:06 AM
                        Okay, fair enough... it will get smaller...
                        You could indeed loose the list of columns and even the UNIQUEIDS and
                        the totalItems...

                        Not sure what the itemsFound does...

                        var j = {"itemsFound":2,
                        "items":[
                        {"js63013":["A1 Services","CEO","Jane
                        Jones","800-555-2121","janejones@..."]},
                        {"js63009":[" Acme","President","John
                        Smith","800-555-1212","johnsmith@acme. com"]}
                        ]
                        };
                        window.onload = function(){
                        var txt = "";
                        var col = j.items;
                        var totalitems = j.items.length;
                        for (var i=0;i<totalitems;i++){
                        for (j in col[i]){
                        txt += col[i][j] + " \n";

                        alert(totalitems + "\n" + txt);
                        }

                        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ireland" <markincuba@...> wrote:

                        > Somewhat smaller? I was thinking a large object would be shrunk by half
                        > because there would be no repetition of the columnnames everywhere.
                        . ...