Re: Problem with Prototype's JSON Implementation and Ajax.Request.

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 6:28 AM
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Pradeep" <prad_kris@...> wrote:
      > I am a rookie in Web Technologies and had to do a small work with
      > Prototype's json and Ajax.request functions.
      >
      > I had problems with the json.js available in here -
      > http://www.json.org/json.js (Ajax.request fails). So had to use the
      > Prototype's json implementation.
      >
      > I found out that prototype.js uses eval on the input String given. As
      > we all know that this is not secure is there any workaround for this
      > within the protoype and json libraries?

      Since you are a rookie, I'm guessing that your problem is that you are
      not writing your for..in loops correctly. See
      http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/09/26/for-in-intrigue/
    • Pradeep
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 10:22 PM
        Hello Crawford,

        I am not using any for..in loops. I went on to find the exact problem using Script Debugger. It was reported in the Rails Bug Tracker. Please find the link below:
        http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6579

        Also the information in Prototype's site acknowledges this. (http://prototypejs.org/learn/json)

        My primary need is to work with Ajax.Request and when I use the original json.js of yours, the request doesnt get completed.

        So, I decided to use Prototype's json which uses only the eval and is not supporting parseJSON as in your library. I was wondering there are any workarounds for this situation without using the patches given in the Rails tracker.

        Hope its clear. Please revert for any clarification.

        Thanks,
        Pradeep

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2007
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Pradeep <prad_kris@...> wrote:
          > I am not using any for..in loops. I went on to find the exact
          problem using Script Debugger. It was reported in the Rails Bug
          Tracker. Please find the link below:
          > http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6579

          Interesting. Prototype contains a known bug which is trivial to fix,
          and they are refusing to apply the fix. That strikes me as completely
          irresponsible.

          There are lots of Ajax libraries out there. I recommend that you pick
          a better one.