Re: [json] Problem with Prototype's JSON Implementation and Ajax.Request.

  • Philip Tellis
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
      Sometime Today, Pradeep assembled some asciibets to say:

      > I had problems with the json.js available in here -
      > http://www.json.org/json.js (Ajax.request fails). So had to use the
      > Prototype's json implementation.

      It would help if you could say what problems you had with json.js
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Pradeep" <prad_kris@...> wrote:
        > I am a rookie in Web Technologies and had to do a small work with
        > Prototype's json and Ajax.request functions.
        >
        > I had problems with the json.js available in here -
        > http://www.json.org/json.js (Ajax.request fails). So had to use the
        > Prototype's json implementation.
        >
        > I found out that prototype.js uses eval on the input String given. As
        > we all know that this is not secure is there any workaround for this
        > within the protoype and json libraries?

        Since you are a rookie, I'm guessing that your problem is that you are
        not writing your for..in loops correctly. See
        http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/09/26/for-in-intrigue/
      • Pradeep
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
          Hello Crawford,

          I am not using any for..in loops. I went on to find the exact problem using Script Debugger. It was reported in the Rails Bug Tracker. Please find the link below:
          http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6579

          Also the information in Prototype's site acknowledges this. (http://prototypejs.org/learn/json)

          My primary need is to work with Ajax.Request and when I use the original json.js of yours, the request doesnt get completed.

          So, I decided to use Prototype's json which uses only the eval and is not supporting parseJSON as in your library. I was wondering there are any workarounds for this situation without using the patches given in the Rails tracker.

          Hope its clear. Please revert for any clarification.

          Thanks,
          Pradeep

          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2007
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Pradeep <prad_kris@...> wrote:
            > I am not using any for..in loops. I went on to find the exact
            problem using Script Debugger. It was reported in the Rails Bug
            Tracker. Please find the link below:
            > http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6579

            Interesting. Prototype contains a known bug which is trivial to fix,
            and they are refusing to apply the fix. That strikes me as completely
            irresponsible.

            There are lots of Ajax libraries out there. I recommend that you pick
            a better one.