Re: [json] XML or JSON

  • Kevin Prichard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2007
      On 3/18/07, mertsakarya@... <mertsakarya@...> wrote:

      > - A Sunday thought;
      >
      > I was planning to tattoo "XML" on my left shoulder.
      >
      > After I've discovered "JSON", all my data transfer formats became JSON
      > instead of XML. I'm confused, if I should tattoo JSON.
      > Which one's going to be there in the long term?
      >
      > I know JSON is a data exchange format which makes it perfect for Web and
      > XML is a document format.
      >
      > Which one would you tattoo on your shoulder?
      > My mind says, I should stick with XML, but I can't ignore JSON.
      >
      > Are we gonna use JSON or XML in the next twenty years?
      >
      > Mert

    • Kevin Prichard
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2007
        > Which one's going to be there in the long term?

        While XML and JSON are similar, JSON's biggest win is simplicity: it's
        a convenient, well-supported serialization format that's great for
        representing loosely-typed string/numeric values with two common data
        structures found in most languages: hashes and arrays. Plus
        converting to/from JSON from/to native representation on many
        languages can happen in a single step, usually (after the library's
        loaded.)

        XML has got a number years of maturity over JSON. Widely-available
        features XML has that JSON hasn't (or much of): DTDs, schemas,
        validation, node attributes, and CDATA blocks, for starters.
        Validation for JSON has come a long way in a short time, but it is far
        from universal. Validating data is usually up you, the developer, to
        handle in the language you're converting JSON to/from. The most you
        can expect of any given JSON decoder is to tell you the JSON was
        well-formed (i.e. whether or not it was unserialized, but not always
        why it wasn't), and depending on the support for your language, you
        might find a library that does schema-style validation. The one thing
        I worry about with JSON is vulnerabilities.

        So maybe it is not for all purposes ... I'm guessing that people who
        want the additional sophistication of XML will keep going with XML, at
        least until JSON catches up. As storage gets denser, bandwidth gets
        faster, XML's higher calorie rating won't mean so much in future
        years. And not everybody wants to validate the data they receive, I
        guess, so there's a place for both. I'm thinking of data services
        that want to provide data via light-weight, REST-y interfaces.

        -kevin

        Kevin Prichard
        New York Times Digital
        Lead Developer, MyTimes