Re: SQL for JSON?

  • Alexey Luchkovsky
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2007
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "george.jempty" <george.jempty@...> wrote:

      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@> wrote:
      > > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
      > > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
      > matches. If
      > > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
      > > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
      > through sets
      > > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language
      you are
      > > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.
      >
      > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
      > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
      > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
      > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
      > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
      > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
      > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.

      JsonTools included solution for client lookup JSON data, you can find
      parts of a JSON structure, if you need concrete decision, send e-mail me.
    • Anand Sadasivam
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2007
        Hi,

        Check out this...

        http://trimpath.com/project/wiki/TrimQuery

        you can see the demo right here...
        http://trimpath.com/demos/test1/trimpath/query_demo.html .

        Hope this helps.

        Regards,
        Anand.S

        --
        Anand.S
        anand.sadasivam@...

      • Alexey Luchkovsky
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1 2:41 AM
          TrimQuery solution is right pretty, but.... not for tree-based
          structures.

          Visitor pattern and XPATH on XML realy designed for tree.
          Before I decide on Visitor I have seen JavaScript XPATH library
          written by Steffen Meschkat <mesch@...>. It's realy titanic
          solution, but it's designed for XML.

          Enter Visitor:
          function visit(aTree, anAcceptor, aVisitProcessor)

          I proceed from the assumption:
          - 90% tasks are based on search by equals or like.
          - 10% tasks can be realized by custom "acceptor" and/or custom "visit
          processor"

          Moreover, Visitor allowed to modify tree so well as search from them.
          For example, I can design code, that removed from JSON data structure
          all persons whose birth day arrived on full Moon (20 lines of code).

          Java Visitor on Tree vs. Events named Digester
          http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/

          Resume:
          Of course Visitor is not competed with SQL (especially on server with
          indexes, cache etc), Visitor is not a rival for XPATH on XML.

          TrimQuery solution is very good and very helpful, but for JSON
          JsonTools is preffered more...
          http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsontools.

          Regards, Alexey Luchkovsky

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Anand Sadasivam" <anand.sadasivam@...>