Re: Comments

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 17, 2005
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, MPCM <WickedLogic@g...> wrote:
      > I'm not sure comments belong at all in a data exchange format. The site
      > description never specifies that JSON's only purpose is data
      exchange, but I
      > imagine that most people are using it as just that. The thought of
      > comments into my JSON going back and forth never occurred to me, and
      > come up in the app I am writing. My app uses JSON heavily to talk to
      > server and pass objects and mass collections of properties from many
      > back and forth.
      > If you need to provide comments to a client via json, shouldn't it
      be part
      > of the object your passing, rather than some meta data that the
      parser is
      > just going to remove anyway?

      I agree with that. Comments can be included as object properties:

      "comment": "And that is how the elephant got its trunk.",

      If we drop comments, then JSON becomes a subset of YAML, which gets us
      into a more decoders. It also aligns us more closely with Python.

      I have seen a case where people have been using comments to pass
      metadata. I would like to drop support for such bad behavior.

      I think the case is getting stronger for dropping comments entirely.
    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring