Re: [json] Comments

  • Michal Migurski
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 16, 2005
      > > Deleting /* */ comments from the standard should not affect any
      > > existing implementations. Decoders are allowed to recognize non-
      > JSON.
      > > I am not aware of any compliant encoders that emit /* */.
      > >
      > > Comments?

      Multiline comments work well, they're doing no harm, and removing
      them from the spec may break interoperability with implementations
      that are not known to this group, i.e. ones that emit such comments.

      > One other point: I'm beginning to be concerned about the stability of
      > JSON as a spec. Many people are implementing it now, but it appears to
      > be a moving target. Scientific notation showed up on the spec page
      > unannounced (or announced somewhere I didn't see it ;), and now we're
      > discussing changes to the comment formats. Before this gets out of
      > hand, and all hope of interoperability is lost, I'd like to see either
      > more formality in the spec definitions and / or the introduction of
      > versioning, so that I can tell what others are doing, and they can
      > tell what I'm doing.

      Agreed - the addition of scientific notation to the spec was a
      surprise to me, though I did see it discussed here a few times. I
      think JSON may be stable enough at this point to warrant an official
      "1.0" version number, with future additions going into a 2.0 draft
      something-or-other. I don't want to get all W3C here, but it would be
      nice to advertise an implementation's "adherence to JSON v1.0" and
      have that stay meaningful. :)

      -mike.

      michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring