Re: [json] Re: SQL for JSON?

  • Matthew Morley
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
      On 2/10/07, george.jempty <george.jempty@...> wrote:
      > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
      > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
      > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
      > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
      > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
      > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
      > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.

      Agreed, mostly.

      But I am not sure the case is as strong for xquery for json as it is
      with xml, though I can definitely see a use for it. Selectively
      plucking data from a stream that you do not control or do not want to
      control is very appealing and probably useful. But at that point why
      not just do the same methods on the native language translation?

      One way your search through strings, translate subsections, then
      provide those back as native objects. The other you translate it all,
      then search against native objects to return subset of native objects.

      --
      Matthew P. C. Morley
      MPCM Technologies Inc.
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 26, 2007
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "george.jempty" <george.jempty@...> wrote:

        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@> wrote:
        > > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
        > > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
        > matches. If
        > > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
        > > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
        > through sets
        > > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language
        you are
        > > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.
        >
        > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
        > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
        > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
        > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
        > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
        > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
        > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.

        JsonTools included solution for client lookup JSON data, you can find
        parts of a JSON structure, if you need concrete decision, send e-mail me.
      • Anand Sadasivam
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2007
          Hi,

          Check out this...

          http://trimpath.com/project/wiki/TrimQuery

          you can see the demo right here...
          http://trimpath.com/demos/test1/trimpath/query_demo.html .

          Hope this helps.

          Regards,
          Anand.S

          On 2/26/07, Alexey Luchkovsky <luchkovsky@...> wrote:

          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "george.jempty" <
          > george.jempty@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "Matthew Morley"
          > <WickedLogic@> wrote:
          > > > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
          > > > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
          > > matches. If
          > > > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
          > > > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
          > > through sets
          > > > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language
          > you are
          > > > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.
          > >
          > > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
          > > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
          > > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
          > > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
          > > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
          > > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
          > > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.
          > >

          > JsonTools included solution for client lookup JSON data, you can find
          > parts of a JSON structure, if you need concrete decision, send e-mail me.

          --
          Anand.S
          anand.sadasivam@...
          +91 99804 75305

        • Alexey Luchkovsky
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
            TrimQuery solution is right pretty, but.... not for tree-based
            structures.

            Visitor pattern and XPATH on XML realy designed for tree.
            Before I decide on Visitor I have seen JavaScript XPATH library
            written by Steffen Meschkat <mesch@...>. It's realy titanic
            solution, but it's designed for XML.

            Enter Visitor:
            function visit(aTree, anAcceptor, aVisitProcessor)

            I proceed from the assumption:
            - 90% tasks are based on search by equals or like.
            - 10% tasks can be realized by custom "acceptor" and/or custom "visit
            processor"

            Moreover, Visitor allowed to modify tree so well as search from them.
            For example, I can design code, that removed from JSON data structure
            all persons whose birth day arrived on full Moon (20 lines of code).

            Java Visitor on Tree vs. Events named Digester
            http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/

            Resume:
            Of course Visitor is not competed with SQL (especially on server with
            indexes, cache etc), Visitor is not a rival for XPATH on XML.

            TrimQuery solution is very good and very helpful, but for JSON
            JsonTools is preffered more...
            http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsontools.

            Regards, Alexey Luchkovsky

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Anand Sadasivam" <anand.sadasivam@...>