Re: SQL for JSON?

  • george.jempty
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...> wrote:
      > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
      > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
      matches. If
      > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
      > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
      through sets
      > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language you are
      > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.

      Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
      played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
      is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
      renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
      http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
      where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
      same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.
    • Matthew Morley
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
        On 2/10/07, george.jempty <george.jempty@...> wrote:
        > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
        > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
        > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
        > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
        > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
        > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
        > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.

        Agreed, mostly.

        But I am not sure the case is as strong for xquery for json as it is
        with xml, though I can definitely see a use for it. Selectively
        plucking data from a stream that you do not control or do not want to
        control is very appealing and probably useful. But at that point why
        not just do the same methods on the native language translation?

        One way your search through strings, translate subsections, then
        provide those back as native objects. The other you translate it all,
        then search against native objects to return subset of native objects.

        --
        Matthew P. C. Morley
        MPCM Technologies Inc.
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 26, 2007
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "george.jempty" <george.jempty@...> wrote:

          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@> wrote:
          > > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
          > > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
          > matches. If
          > > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
          > > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
          > through sets
          > > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language
          you are
          > > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.
          >
          > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
          > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
          > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
          > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
          > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
          > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
          > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.

          JsonTools included solution for client lookup JSON data, you can find
          parts of a JSON structure, if you need concrete decision, send e-mail me.
        • Anand Sadasivam
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 28, 2007
            Hi,

            Check out this...

            http://trimpath.com/project/wiki/TrimQuery

            you can see the demo right here...
            http://trimpath.com/demos/test1/trimpath/query_demo.html .

            Hope this helps.

            Regards,
            Anand.S

            On 2/26/07, Alexey Luchkovsky <luchkovsky@...> wrote:

            > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "george.jempty" <
            > george.jempty@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "Matthew Morley"
            > <WickedLogic@> wrote:
            > > > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
            > > > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
            > > matches. If
            > > > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
            > > > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
            > > through sets
            > > > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language
            > you are
            > > > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.
            > >
            > > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
            > > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
            > > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
            > > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
            > > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
            > > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
            > > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.
            > >

            > JsonTools included solution for client lookup JSON data, you can find
            > parts of a JSON structure, if you need concrete decision, send e-mail me.

            --
            Anand.S
            anand.sadasivam@...
            +91 99804 75305

          • Alexey Luchkovsky
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
              TrimQuery solution is right pretty, but.... not for tree-based
              structures.

              Visitor pattern and XPATH on XML realy designed for tree.
              Before I decide on Visitor I have seen JavaScript XPATH library
              written by Steffen Meschkat <mesch@...>. It's realy titanic
              solution, but it's designed for XML.

              Enter Visitor:
              function visit(aTree, anAcceptor, aVisitProcessor)

              I proceed from the assumption:
              - 90% tasks are based on search by equals or like.
              - 10% tasks can be realized by custom "acceptor" and/or custom "visit
              processor"

              Moreover, Visitor allowed to modify tree so well as search from them.
              For example, I can design code, that removed from JSON data structure
              all persons whose birth day arrived on full Moon (20 lines of code).

              Java Visitor on Tree vs. Events named Digester
              http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/

              Resume:
              Of course Visitor is not competed with SQL (especially on server with
              indexes, cache etc), Visitor is not a rival for XPATH on XML.

              TrimQuery solution is very good and very helpful, but for JSON
              JsonTools is preffered more...
              http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsontools.

              Regards, Alexey Luchkovsky

              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Anand Sadasivam" <anand.sadasivam@...>