Re: [json] SQL for JSON?

  • Peter Michaux
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2007
      On 2/9/07, Mark Ireland <markincuba@...> wrote:

      > So loop thru data testing for data.["id2"].age > 35

      What is "id2" and why a dot before the bracket. I don't know what that
      is supposed to do?

      > and create var dataset and add the object.
      >
      > Have you seen Adobe Spry?

      No. A quick looks says "ajax framework" what does it have to inspect a
      JSON structure?

      Peter
    • Matthew Morley
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
        JSON is a data-interchange format, so unless your talking about building
        something that does a search through the raw strings, I'm pretty sure that
        doing a search through the native language equivalent would be faster.

        If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
        browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the matches. If
        you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
        exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search through sets
        of data and match criteria. The real question is which language you are
        doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.

        --
        Matthew P. C. Morley
        MPCM Technologies Inc.

      • george.jempty
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...> wrote:
          > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
          > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
          matches. If
          > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
          > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
          through sets
          > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language you are
          > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.

          Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
          played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
          is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
          renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
          http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
          where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
          same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.
        • Matthew Morley
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
            On 2/10/07, george.jempty <george.jempty@...> wrote:
            > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
            > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
            > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
            > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
            > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
            > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
            > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.

            Agreed, mostly.

            But I am not sure the case is as strong for xquery for json as it is
            with xml, though I can definitely see a use for it. Selectively
            plucking data from a stream that you do not control or do not want to
            control is very appealing and probably useful. But at that point why
            not just do the same methods on the native language translation?

            One way your search through strings, translate subsections, then
            provide those back as native objects. The other you translate it all,
            then search against native objects to return subset of native objects.

            --
            Matthew P. C. Morley
            MPCM Technologies Inc.
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 26, 2007
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "george.jempty" <george.jempty@...> wrote:

              > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@> wrote:
              > > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
              > > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
              > matches. If
              > > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
              > > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
              > through sets
              > > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language
              you are
              > > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.
              >
              > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
              > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
              > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
              > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
              > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
              > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
              > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.

              JsonTools included solution for client lookup JSON data, you can find
              parts of a JSON structure, if you need concrete decision, send e-mail me.
            • Anand Sadasivam
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 28, 2007
                Hi,

                Check out this...

                http://trimpath.com/project/wiki/TrimQuery

                you can see the demo right here...
                http://trimpath.com/demos/test1/trimpath/query_demo.html .

                Hope this helps.

                Regards,
                Anand.S

                On 2/26/07, Alexey Luchkovsky <luchkovsky@...> wrote:

                > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "george.jempty" <
                > george.jempty@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "Matthew Morley"
                > <WickedLogic@> wrote:
                > > > If you are working in an environment where the JSON consumer is a web
                > > > browser, let the server do the heavy lifting and pass you the
                > > matches. If
                > > > you really need the local ability to search or are doing non-browser
                > > > exchanges, I am sure there exists generic functions to search
                > > through sets
                > > > of data and match criteria. The real question is which language
                > you are
                > > > doing it in, and is it worth the overhead and complication.
                > >
                > > Baloney. The real question is the OP's original question: "Has anyone
                > > played with a way to find parts of a JSON structure like SQL?" This
                > > is not an unreasonable question: in fact its been considered by
                > > renowned Python/XML expert Uche Ogbuji; see
                > > http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2006-12-23/Why_JSON_v
                > > where he imagines "XQuery for JSON". By the way, a link to this very
                > > same article can be found at the bottom of json.org.
                > >

                > JsonTools included solution for client lookup JSON data, you can find
                > parts of a JSON structure, if you need concrete decision, send e-mail me.

                --
                Anand.S
                anand.sadasivam@...
                +91 99804 75305

              • Alexey Luchkovsky
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
                  TrimQuery solution is right pretty, but.... not for tree-based
                  structures.

                  Visitor pattern and XPATH on XML realy designed for tree.
                  Before I decide on Visitor I have seen JavaScript XPATH library
                  written by Steffen Meschkat <mesch@...>. It's realy titanic
                  solution, but it's designed for XML.

                  Enter Visitor:
                  function visit(aTree, anAcceptor, aVisitProcessor)

                  I proceed from the assumption:
                  - 90% tasks are based on search by equals or like.
                  - 10% tasks can be realized by custom "acceptor" and/or custom "visit
                  processor"

                  Moreover, Visitor allowed to modify tree so well as search from them.
                  For example, I can design code, that removed from JSON data structure
                  all persons whose birth day arrived on full Moon (20 lines of code).

                  Java Visitor on Tree vs. Events named Digester
                  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/

                  Resume:
                  Of course Visitor is not competed with SQL (especially on server with
                  indexes, cache etc), Visitor is not a rival for XPATH on XML.

                  TrimQuery solution is very good and very helpful, but for JSON
                  JsonTools is preffered more...
                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsontools.

                  Regards, Alexey Luchkovsky

                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Anand Sadasivam" <anand.sadasivam@...>