Re: [json] Iterating through a huge JSON variable - freezes FF

  • Matthew Morley
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2007
      The warning is meant to protect users from scripts that might be or are
      abusing the system resources, the solution is not to get rid of the message
      but to examine your code. I've got a few objects around 1k nodes which
      function fine, but those are all unique fields, not records.

      Could you post some code where you are doing the conversion from JSON into
      the Javascript objects, as well as your loop?
      Where in the code process do you get the message?
      Depending on your data, perhaps you are doing too much in general and should
      break the task down into smaller steps?

      --
      Matthew P. C. Morley

    • carl.harroch
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2007
        Hello Mathew,

        My javascript looks something like the following (with prototype.js):

        ---
        var jsonTest = Class.create();
        jsonTest.prototype = {

        allData: [{attributes: {name: "", id: ""}}],
        myData: [{attributes: {name: "", id: ""}}],

        initialize: function() {

        this.dataTemplate = new Template('<span class="#{dataClass}"
        style="color: #{dataColor}; padding: 20px;" > #{dataName} </span>');

        var initData = new Ajax.Request('/data.json', {
        method: 'get',
        asynchronous: 'false',
        onLoading: function () { this.loadingDiv.show(); }.bind(this),
        onFailure: function () { alert('Something went wrong...') },
        onSuccess: this.initSearch.bind(this),
        onComplete: this.showData.bind(this),
        });
        },

        initSearch: function (originalRequest){
        this.allData = eval('(' + originalRequest.responseText + ')');
        this.myData = eval('(' + originalRequest.responseText + ')');
        },

        showData: function () {
        arr = $w('class1 class2 class3 class4 class5');
        colore = $w('#99FF00 #333333 #FF3298');
        this.myData.each(function(item, index) {
        this.resultContainer.innerHTML +=
        this.dataTemplate.evaluate({dataClass:
        arr[Math.floor(Math.random()*6)],
        dataColor:
        colore[Math.floor(Math.random()*4)],
        dataName:
        item.attributes.name});
        }.bind(this));
        ---

        And my data.json:

        ---
        [{attributes: {name: "ca", id: "2"}}, {attributes: {name:
        "111ffrrferf", id: "3"}},.... * 2000 records
        ---

        I am pretty sure I know where the error comes from. It is due to the
        this.resultContainer.innerHTML... I tried briefly to save it to a temp
        before exchanging the innerHTML and I could see a real change in the
        time it takes to load the json.

        Do you beleive my code is a good approach on generating html from
        large JSON?

        I still beleive it is not a clean solution. I am very new to
        Javascript. Multi-threading will be needed in the features especially
        with the usage of AJAX and controller logic being more and more on the
        client side. How does the AJAX request approach the subject?

        Anyway, will continue to work on this and keep you updated.

        Thanks,
        Carl

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...> wrote:

        > The warning is meant to protect users from scripts that might be or are
        > abusing the system resources, the solution is not to get rid of the
        message
        > but to examine your code. I've got a few objects around 1k nodes which
        > function fine, but those are all unique fields, not records.
        >
        > Could you post some code where you are doing the conversion from
        JSON into
        > the Javascript objects, as well as your loop?
        > Where in the code process do you get the message?
        > Depending on your data, perhaps you are doing too much in general
        and should
        > break the task down into smaller steps?
        >
        > --
        > Matthew P. C. Morley

      • Michal Migurski
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2007
          > And my data.json:
          >
          > ---
          > [{attributes: {name: "ca", id: "2"}}, {attributes: {name:
          > "111ffrrferf", id: "3"}},.... * 2000 records

          Nitpick: this isn't valid JSON, get those hash keys quoted.

          > I am pretty sure I know where the error comes from. It is due to the
          > this.resultContainer.innerHTML... I tried briefly to save it to a temp
          > before exchanging the innerHTML and I could see a real change in the
          > time it takes to load the json.
          >
          > Do you beleive my code is a good approach on generating html from
          > large JSON?
          >
          > I still beleive it is not a clean solution. I am very new to
          > Javascript. Multi-threading will be needed in the features especially
          > with the usage of AJAX and controller logic being more and more on the
          > client side. How does the AJAX request approach the subject?

          Iterating over 2000 of anything in Javascript is going to cause
          problems for most browsers - visit a heavily-commented page on Digg
          for another example of greedy, blocking loops in a production site. =)

          Try to break this problem down into smaller chunks, as Matthew
          suggested. For example, divide the 2000-element request into 100-
          element requests, and chain them together so that a new request is
          fired only after the previous response has been received and handled.
          It will take longer overall and require more trips to and from the
          server, but giving the browser some breathing room to address user
          input or UI tasks will make it feel snappier. This kind of
          asynchronous (the "A" in "Ajax"), chunked-out approach gets you most
          of the benefits of multithreading without the headaches.

          -mike.

        • Mark Ireland
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2007
            I wonder if something like this:

            {"RECORDCOUNT":10,"UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009","js63028","js63185","js63039","js63044","js63228","js63246","js63077","js63227"],"COLUMNNAMES":["EM","EY","ISSILO","ISWEATHER","SM","STATIONID","STATIONNAME","SY","X","Y"],"js63013":{"CURRENTROW":1,"EM":8,"EY":2006,"ISSILO":0,"ISWEATHER":1,"SM":4,"STATIONID":63013,"STATIONNAME":"BERAMBING","SY":1943,"X":166,"Y":97},
            . . ....
            and so on
            . . . ...

            "js63227":{"CURRENTROW":10,"EM":10,"EY":2006,"ISSILO":1,"ISWEATHER":1,"SM":3,"STATIONID":63227,"STATIONNAME":"WENTWORTH
            FALLS COUNTRY CLUB","SY":1967,"X":124,"Y":187}}

            would be better like this:

            {"RECORDCOUNT":10,"UNIQUEIDS":["js63013","js63009","js63028","js63185","js63039","js63044","js63228","js63246","js63077","js63227"],"COLUMNNAMES":["ENDMONTH","ENDYEAR","ISSILO","ISWEATHER","STARTMONTH","STATIONID","STATIONNAME","STARTYEAR","XCOORD","YCOORD"],"js63013":{"CURRENTROW":1,"k1":8,"k2":2006,"k3":0,"k4":1,"k5":4,"k6":63013,"k7":"BERAMBING","k8":1943,"k9":166,"k10":97},
            . . ....
            and so on
            . . . ...

            "js63227":{"CURRENTROW":10,"k1":10,"k2":2006,"k3":1,"k4":1,"k5":3,"k6":63227,"k7":"WENTWORTH
            FALLS COUNTRY CLUB","k8":1967,"k9":124,"k10":187}}

            with some code to lookup the columnames.

            Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search now!
            www.seek.com.au
            http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT
          • mertsakarya@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7, 2007
              Once we've had long running script on the client-side, which took about 1 minutes to execute/parse/display the data(a two dimensional array with thousands of rows).
              First of all, this shouldn't happen, but if you can't avoid it, do it asychronously.

              What we did was, we created an "interval", and parsed them by the hundreds (less or more for your situation) each time.
              This increased responsiveness of the page.

              The idea is; use asynchronousity while downloading the data and if the data is huge, use asynchronousity again to parse/display the data.

              Mert

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 7, 2007
                One more thought,
                Why not use [ [<name, string>, <id, string>],...
                (array) notation instead of [{attributes: {name: "", id: ""}}], ?

                Mert

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 8, 2007
                  > Nitpick: this isn't valid JSON, get those hash keys quoted.
                  It was generated with the JSON addin to RoR. Will look into that later on.

                  I try to avoid the trip back to the server and download the list just
                  once. Could it be better to do the following:

                  1. Download the entire JSON
                  2. Iterate through the first 100 and break
                  3. back to step 2 until the entire JSON has been iterated

                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@...> wrote:

                  > > And my data.json:
                  > >
                  > > ---
                  > > [{attributes: {name: "ca", id: "2"}}, {attributes: {name:
                  > > "111ffrrferf", id: "3"}},.... * 2000 records
                  >
                  > Nitpick: this isn't valid JSON, get those hash keys quoted.
                  >

                  > > I am pretty sure I know where the error comes from. It is due to the
                  > > this.resultContainer.innerHTML... I tried briefly to save it to a temp
                  > > before exchanging the innerHTML and I could see a real change in the
                  > > time it takes to load the json.
                  > >
                  > > Do you beleive my code is a good approach on generating html from
                  > > large JSON?
                  > >
                  > > I still beleive it is not a clean solution. I am very new to
                  > > Javascript. Multi-threading will be needed in the features especially
                  > > with the usage of AJAX and controller logic being more and more on the
                  > > client side. How does the AJAX request approach the subject?
                  >
                  > Iterating over 2000 of anything in Javascript is going to cause
                  > problems for most browsers - visit a heavily-commented page on Digg
                  > for another example of greedy, blocking loops in a production site. =)
                  >
                  > Try to break this problem down into smaller chunks, as Matthew
                  > suggested. For example, divide the 2000-element request into 100-
                  > element requests, and chain them together so that a new request is
                  > fired only after the previous response has been received and handled.
                  > It will take longer overall and require more trips to and from the
                  > server, but giving the browser some breathing room to address user
                  > input or UI tasks will make it feel snappier. This kind of
                  > asynchronous (the "A" in "Ajax"), chunked-out approach gets you most
                  > of the benefits of multithreading without the headaches.
                  >
                  > -mike.

                  > michal migurski- contact info and pgp key:
                  > sf/ca http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html

                • Michal Migurski
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 8, 2007
                    > > Nitpick: this isn't valid JSON, get those hash keys quoted.
                    > It was generated with the JSON addin to RoR. Will look into that
                    > later on.

                    Yuck, file a bug report. There's no excuse for generating javascript
                    and calling it JSON.

                    > I try to avoid the trip back to the server and download the list just
                    > once. Could it be better to do the following:
                    >
                    > 1. Download the entire JSON
                    > 2. Iterate through the first 100 and break
                    > 3. back to step 2 until the entire JSON has been iterated

                    Maybe, though it depends on how long it takes to parse the entire
                    message - there's an upper limit of reasonability to this, too. You
                    don't want to download a 10,000 item array and parse that in one go,
                    or discover the array that presents no problems on your browser but
                    brings an older or slower computer to its knees.

                    I wrote a quick blog post specifically about chunking this kind of
                    task out, with some tiny example code:
                    http://mike.teczno.com/notes/polite-loops.html

                    -mike.

                  • carl.harroch
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 15, 2007
                      Thanks Mike,

                      I beleive I will go for your last solution. Currently I am working on
                      several part of my site which does not permit a lot of time on the
                      iterating part. As soon as I manage to test some different setup on
                      different, I will post back a summary of my founding.

                      I keep you updated,
                      Carl