Re: [json] Comments

  • MPCM
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 16, 2005
      "These properties make JSON an ideal data-interchange language." -
      http://www.crockford.com/JSON/index.html

      I'm not sure comments belong at all in a data exchange format. The site
      description never specifies that JSON's only purpose is data exchange, but I
      imagine that most people are using it as just that. The thought of adding
      comments into my JSON going back and forth never occurred to me, and hasn't
      come up in the app I am writing. My app uses JSON heavily to talk to the
      server and pass objects and mass collections of properties from many objects
      back and forth.

      If you need to provide comments to a client via json, shouldn't it be part
      of the object your passing, rather than some meta data that the parser is
      just going to remove anyway?

      If you need to comment out sections of the json string or add comments,
      shouldn't that be done on your base language object which is then converted
      to json? The existence of comments in a json string, seems pointless unless
      you are parsing the string manually, and not with a json.decode type method.

      The only purpose I see to including comments would be allow people who are
      manually creating json strings to easily remove sections of their object,
      but that's just as easily done by doing what the previous paragraph
      suggests, creating the objects and then encoding them to a json string.

      I would not be upset to see them removed, but would like to see /* */ stay
      over //.

      --
      Matthew P. C. Morley
      MPCM Technologies Inc.

    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring