Re: [json] Re: JSON vs XML

  • Todd Kingham
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
      "I am sending some clarifications about the mail.
      Before you going to discuss the JSON's power, you must know about the
      technology behind it. It is nothing but AJAX."

      This is factually incorrect.

      That would be like saying XML is nothing but Ajax. JSON is merely a way to
      serialize data-structures for inter-portability, be it storing your objects
      in a Database or flat file, or sending it across-the-wire to syndicate data
      between networks, platforms, languages, etc� It's just a universal way to
      pass data around.

      Ajax on the other hand is simply a style of writing web applications in
      which structured data needs to be sent from the server back to the browser.
      Although JSON is an excellent choice as a "transport layer" in
      Ajaxapplications it is by no means the only choice. And of course JSON
      has a
      much broader scope then just being used to pass data back to Ajax apps.

      The biggest advantage of JSON over XML is that it tends to be less expensive
      in terms of size and bandwidth. But XML has built in support in most
      languages including JavaScript. When it comes to using JSON vs. XML in
      JavaScript I feel that JSON also offers a much simpler syntax. Of course
      that is just my humble opinion.

      In regard to JSON vs XML when it comes to Ajax: I've not seen any
      benchmarking done on which is more efficient but I will have to say that in
      my own un-scientific testing I have found JSON to out perform XML. This
      could of course have nothing to do with JSON being faster then XML, perhaps
      its just that my XMLparser on the server is slower then my JSONparser??? In
      any case, since I do get a syntax/size/bandwidth advantage with JSON I feel
      it's a much better choice.

      My 2 cents,

      -Todd

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
        > > When
        > > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
        > > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
        > > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
        > > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

        > Says you.

        Said Garrett in his presentations at The Ajax Experience in San
        Francisco and at AjaxWorld in Santa Clara last year.
      • genzoeri
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
          I think when ajax using json as data interchange format, it's still ajax.

          --
          Understanding Code is by far the activity at which professional
          developers spend most of their time ....
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
            AJAX is not specific to a particular programming language, data
            exchange format, or network communications. So when we use json as
            data exchange format, we still call it as AJAX. Please check this out:
            http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/3526681
            Any comment?
            Regards,
            Genzoeri.