Re: [json] Re: JSON vs XML

  • Peter Michaux
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
      On 1/18/07, Ken Robinson <kenrbnsn@...> wrote:

      > At 12:06 PM 1/18/2007, Martin Cooper wrote:
      >
      > >Says you. But the X in AJAX stands for XML, not a variable, and the article
      > >you quote is very clear about that. Whether he knew about JSON at the time
      > >is irrelevant; there are plenty of other formats that he could have talked
      > >about, such as plain text, HTML, JavaScript, etc. But he didn't, he talked
      > >about XML, and he defined Ajax in terms of it.
      >
      > I hate to burst your bubble.
      >
      > Actually the "X" stands for "XMLHttpRequest" as is mentioned in one
      > the answers that follows the article. Did you read the Questions and
      > Answers after the article. There is one answer that addresses this:

      From Garrett's article

      "The name is shorthand for Asynchronous JavaScript + XML"

      Peter
    • Todd Kingham
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
        "I am sending some clarifications about the mail.
        Before you going to discuss the JSON's power, you must know about the
        technology behind it. It is nothing but AJAX."

        This is factually incorrect.

        That would be like saying XML is nothing but Ajax. JSON is merely a way to
        serialize data-structures for inter-portability, be it storing your objects
        in a Database or flat file, or sending it across-the-wire to syndicate data
        between networks, platforms, languages, etc� It's just a universal way to
        pass data around.

        Ajax on the other hand is simply a style of writing web applications in
        which structured data needs to be sent from the server back to the browser.
        Although JSON is an excellent choice as a "transport layer" in
        Ajaxapplications it is by no means the only choice. And of course JSON
        has a
        much broader scope then just being used to pass data back to Ajax apps.

        The biggest advantage of JSON over XML is that it tends to be less expensive
        in terms of size and bandwidth. But XML has built in support in most
        languages including JavaScript. When it comes to using JSON vs. XML in
        JavaScript I feel that JSON also offers a much simpler syntax. Of course
        that is just my humble opinion.

        In regard to JSON vs XML when it comes to Ajax: I've not seen any
        benchmarking done on which is more efficient but I will have to say that in
        my own un-scientific testing I have found JSON to out perform XML. This
        could of course have nothing to do with JSON being faster then XML, perhaps
        its just that my XMLparser on the server is slower then my JSONparser??? In
        any case, since I do get a syntax/size/bandwidth advantage with JSON I feel
        it's a much better choice.

        My 2 cents,

        -Todd

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
          > > When
          > > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
          > > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
          > > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
          > > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

          > Says you.

          Said Garrett in his presentations at The Ajax Experience in San
          Francisco and at AjaxWorld in Santa Clara last year.
        • genzoeri
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
            I think when ajax using json as data interchange format, it's still ajax.

            --
            Understanding Code is by far the activity at which professional
            developers spend most of their time ....
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
              AJAX is not specific to a particular programming language, data
              exchange format, or network communications. So when we use json as
              data exchange format, we still call it as AJAX. Please check this out:
              http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/3526681
              Any comment?
              Regards,
              Genzoeri.