Re: [json] Re: JSON vs XML

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
      On 1/16/07, shijupc123 <shijupc123@...> wrote:

      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "genzoeri" <genzoeri@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hii, I am newbie with json. after I read article in
      > > http://www.developer.com/lang/jscript/article.php/10939_3596836_2, I
      > > know that json is faster than xml. I want to know if anybody have the
      > > testing script or algorithm how to prove this issue?
      > > Regards,
      > > Genzoeri.
      > >

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am sending some clarifications about the mail.
      > Before you going to discuss the JSON's power, you must know about the
      > technology behind it. It is nothing but AJAX.

      Um, no, it's not. The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
      syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except insofar as
      you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML - but at
      that point, it is no longer AJAX.

      In normal case (Ajax disabled browsers) handling response and request

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
        > The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
        > syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except
        insofar as
        > you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML -
        but at
        > that point, it is no longer AJAX.

        It's all Ajax. Ajax is the ability to produce interactive web
        applications that do not depend exclusively on page replacement. When
        Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
        [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
        he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
        of it. He did not intend to exclude it.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007

          > > The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
          > > syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except
          > insofar as
          > > you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML -
          > but at
          > > that point, it is no longer AJAX.
          >
          > It's all Ajax. Ajax is the ability to produce interactive web
          > applications that do not depend exclusively on page replacement. When
          > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
          > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
          > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
          > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

          Says you. But the X in AJAX stands for XML, not a variable, and the article
          you quote is very clear about that. Whether he knew about JSON at the time
          is irrelevant; there are plenty of other formats that he could have talked
          about, such as plain text, HTML, JavaScript, etc. But he didn't, he talked
          about XML, and he defined Ajax in terms of it.

          I'm sure that you, being Mr. JSON, would like to post facto redefine the X
          to be a variable, and therefore include JSON, but it's just not so.

        • Peter Michaux
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007

            > > The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
            > > syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except
            > insofar as
            > > you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML -
            > but at
            > > that point, it is no longer AJAX.
            >
            > It's all Ajax. Ajax is the ability to produce interactive web
            > applications that do not depend exclusively on page replacement. When
            > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
            > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
            > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
            > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

            I agree with Douglas but I think I know where the confusion lies. In
            Garrett's article

            "Ajax incorporates . . . data interchange and manipulation using XML
            and XSLT . . ."

            I think it is more functional to stop thinking of the term "Ajax" as
            an acronym and just think of it like Douglas suggests or as the name
            of the Greek hero.

            Note "Ajax" is not all capitals in Garrett's article or for the hero.

            Peter
          • Ken Robinson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
              At 12:06 PM 1/18/2007, Martin Cooper wrote:

              >Says you. But the X in AJAX stands for XML, not a variable, and the article
              >you quote is very clear about that. Whether he knew about JSON at the time
              >is irrelevant; there are plenty of other formats that he could have talked
              >about, such as plain text, HTML, JavaScript, etc. But he didn't, he talked
              >about XML, and he defined Ajax in terms of it.

              I hate to burst your bubble.

              Actually the "X" stands for "XMLHttpRequest" as is mentioned in one
              the answers that follows the article. Did you read the Questions and
              Answers after the article. There is one answer that addresses this:

              >Q. Some of the Google examples you cite don't use XML at all. Do I
              >have to use XML and/or XSLT in an Ajax application?
              >
              >A. No. XML is the most fully-developed means of getting data in and
              >out of an Ajax client, but there's no reason you couldn't accomplish
              >the same effects using a technology like
              ><http://www.crockford.com/JSON/>JavaScript Object Notation or any
              >similar means of structuring data for interchange.

              Ken

            • Peter Michaux
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                On 1/18/07, Ken Robinson <kenrbnsn@...> wrote:

                > At 12:06 PM 1/18/2007, Martin Cooper wrote:
                >
                > >Says you. But the X in AJAX stands for XML, not a variable, and the article
                > >you quote is very clear about that. Whether he knew about JSON at the time
                > >is irrelevant; there are plenty of other formats that he could have talked
                > >about, such as plain text, HTML, JavaScript, etc. But he didn't, he talked
                > >about XML, and he defined Ajax in terms of it.
                >
                > I hate to burst your bubble.
                >
                > Actually the "X" stands for "XMLHttpRequest" as is mentioned in one
                > the answers that follows the article. Did you read the Questions and
                > Answers after the article. There is one answer that addresses this:

                From Garrett's article

                "The name is shorthand for Asynchronous JavaScript + XML"

                Peter
              • Todd Kingham
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                  "I am sending some clarifications about the mail.
                  Before you going to discuss the JSON's power, you must know about the
                  technology behind it. It is nothing but AJAX."

                  This is factually incorrect.

                  That would be like saying XML is nothing but Ajax. JSON is merely a way to
                  serialize data-structures for inter-portability, be it storing your objects
                  in a Database or flat file, or sending it across-the-wire to syndicate data
                  between networks, platforms, languages, etc� It's just a universal way to
                  pass data around.

                  Ajax on the other hand is simply a style of writing web applications in
                  which structured data needs to be sent from the server back to the browser.
                  Although JSON is an excellent choice as a "transport layer" in
                  Ajaxapplications it is by no means the only choice. And of course JSON
                  has a
                  much broader scope then just being used to pass data back to Ajax apps.

                  The biggest advantage of JSON over XML is that it tends to be less expensive
                  in terms of size and bandwidth. But XML has built in support in most
                  languages including JavaScript. When it comes to using JSON vs. XML in
                  JavaScript I feel that JSON also offers a much simpler syntax. Of course
                  that is just my humble opinion.

                  In regard to JSON vs XML when it comes to Ajax: I've not seen any
                  benchmarking done on which is more efficient but I will have to say that in
                  my own un-scientific testing I have found JSON to out perform XML. This
                  could of course have nothing to do with JSON being faster then XML, perhaps
                  its just that my XMLparser on the server is slower then my JSONparser??? In
                  any case, since I do get a syntax/size/bandwidth advantage with JSON I feel
                  it's a much better choice.

                  My 2 cents,

                  -Todd

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                    > > When
                    > > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
                    > > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
                    > > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
                    > > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

                    > Says you.

                    Said Garrett in his presentations at The Ajax Experience in San
                    Francisco and at AjaxWorld in Santa Clara last year.
                  • genzoeri
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
                      I think when ajax using json as data interchange format, it's still ajax.

                      --
                      Understanding Code is by far the activity at which professional
                      developers spend most of their time ....
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
                        AJAX is not specific to a particular programming language, data
                        exchange format, or network communications. So when we use json as
                        data exchange format, we still call it as AJAX. Please check this out:
                        http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/3526681
                        Any comment?
                        Regards,
                        Genzoeri.