Re: Comments

  • shadowmorpher2
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 15, 2005
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@c...> wrote:
      > I think that I made a mistake in including both // and /* */ comments
      > in JSON. It is not necessary to have two types. It could be argued
      > that comments are not needed at all.

      Strange, I would have expected you to want to drop // as a comment
      after reading the first paragraph.
      My argument for making /* */ stay is that it is easier to edit JSON by
      hand then: if I want to deactivate something quickly, I'll just
      comment it out that way. And sometimes you just have comments which
      span multiple lines... I find // troublesome then (this is more my
      evaluation of writing C code, though).

      Of course, looking at my lexer for JSON, the entry for /* */ is much
      more complicated ("/*"([*/]?[^*/])*[*/]?"*/") than for single-line
      comments... but that's not a good reason ;)

      Koen
      PS: The lexer I am talking about is for a Python C extension to parse
      JSON. It will be included in json-py in the near future.
    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring