JSON vs XML

  • genzoeri
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 16, 2007
      Hii, I am newbie with json. after I read article in
      http://www.developer.com/lang/jscript/article.php/10939_3596836_2, I
      know that json is faster than xml. I want to know if anybody have the
      testing script or algorithm how to prove this issue?
      Regards,
      Genzoeri.
    • shijupc123
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 16, 2007
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "genzoeri" <genzoeri@...> wrote:

        > Hii, I am newbie with json. after I read article in
        > http://www.developer.com/lang/jscript/article.php/10939_3596836_2, I
        > know that json is faster than xml. I want to know if anybody have the
        > testing script or algorithm how to prove this issue?
        > Regards,
        > Genzoeri.

        Hi,

        I am sending some clarifications about the mail.
        Before you going to discuss the JSON's power, you must know about the
        technology behind it. It is nothing but AJAX.

        In normal case (Ajax disabled browsers) handling response and request
        should be normal HTTP Request and HTTP Response. Also whenever you
        browse a page a new request always send to the Web server. Also the
        response will be in same manner. But in the case of Ajax enabled
        application the Number of request should be bind in an object and send
        that object as request. Actually this we have called JSON(Javascript
        Object Notaion).

        This is the real power behind Ajax.

        The following sites will show the examples o AJAX and JSON

        http://download.backbase.com/webinar/2007-01-11/index.html

        http://www.clearnova.com/ajax/
      • genzoeri
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
          I already see your example and read another article related with this
          comparation. I still don't know, how to compare speed between xml and
          json. Anyone know how to solve this?

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "shijupc123" <shijupc123@...> wrote:

          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "genzoeri" <genzoeri@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hii, I am newbie with json. after I read article in
          > > http://www.developer.com/lang/jscript/article.php/10939_3596836_2, I
          > > know that json is faster than xml. I want to know if anybody have the
          > > testing script or algorithm how to prove this issue?
          > > Regards,
          > > Genzoeri.
          > >

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am sending some clarifications about the mail.
          > Before you going to discuss the JSON's power, you must know about the
          > technology behind it. It is nothing but AJAX.
          >
          > In normal case (Ajax disabled browsers) handling response and request
          > should be normal HTTP Request and HTTP Response. Also whenever you
          > browse a page a new request always send to the Web server. Also the
          > response will be in same manner. But in the case of Ajax enabled
          > application the Number of request should be bind in an object and send
          > that object as request. Actually this we have called JSON(Javascript
          > Object Notaion).
          >
          > This is the real power behind Ajax.
          >
          > The following sites will show the examples o AJAX and JSON
          >
          > http://download.backbase.com/webinar/2007-01-11/index.html
          >
          > http://www.clearnova.com/ajax/

        • Tom Metro
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
            shijupc123 wrote:
            > genzoeri wrote:
            >> ...know that json is faster than xml. I want to know if anybody have the
            >> testing script or algorithm how to prove this issue?
            >
            > It is nothing but AJAX.
            > [...an explanation (of sorts) of AJAX omitted...]
            > This is the real power behind Ajax.

            Remember that the X in AJAX stands for XML, so XML can also be used in
            the same way you described to avoid reloading web pages. The original
            poster wasn't asking about traditional form submission vs. AJAX.

            The question was JSON vs. XML, and the theoretical performance advantage
            to JSON (as probably explained in the article) is that the browser
            incorporates a compiled (fast) JavaScript parser, which can handle the
            JSON data directly, and eliminates the need of writing an XML parser in
            an interpreted language. There may also be some advantages to JSON's
            more compact data format.

            However, I believe most modern browsers now have the ability to parse
            XML and provide a DOM API for accessing data stored within an XML
            sub-tree. I'm not aware of any performance comparison code, but you'd be
            better off coding something yourself that reflected your usage scenario,
            and as importantly, took advantage of the particular web browser clients
            you were targeting, as capabilities and performance will vary.

            -Tom

            --
            Tom Metro
            Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
              On 1/16/07, shijupc123 <shijupc123@...> wrote:

              > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "genzoeri" <genzoeri@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hii, I am newbie with json. after I read article in
              > > http://www.developer.com/lang/jscript/article.php/10939_3596836_2, I
              > > know that json is faster than xml. I want to know if anybody have the
              > > testing script or algorithm how to prove this issue?
              > > Regards,
              > > Genzoeri.
              > >

              > Hi,
              >
              > I am sending some clarifications about the mail.
              > Before you going to discuss the JSON's power, you must know about the
              > technology behind it. It is nothing but AJAX.

              Um, no, it's not. The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
              syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except insofar as
              you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML - but at
              that point, it is no longer AJAX.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                > The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
                > syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except
                insofar as
                > you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML -
                but at
                > that point, it is no longer AJAX.

                It's all Ajax. Ajax is the ability to produce interactive web
                applications that do not depend exclusively on page replacement. When
                Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
                [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
                he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
                of it. He did not intend to exclude it.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007

                  > > The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
                  > > syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except
                  > insofar as
                  > > you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML -
                  > but at
                  > > that point, it is no longer AJAX.
                  >
                  > It's all Ajax. Ajax is the ability to produce interactive web
                  > applications that do not depend exclusively on page replacement. When
                  > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
                  > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
                  > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
                  > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

                  Says you. But the X in AJAX stands for XML, not a variable, and the article
                  you quote is very clear about that. Whether he knew about JSON at the time
                  is irrelevant; there are plenty of other formats that he could have talked
                  about, such as plain text, HTML, JavaScript, etc. But he didn't, he talked
                  about XML, and he defined Ajax in terms of it.

                  I'm sure that you, being Mr. JSON, would like to post facto redefine the X
                  to be a variable, and therefore include JSON, but it's just not so.

                • Peter Michaux
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007

                    > > The technology behind JSON is a subset of JavaScript
                    > > syntax, and nothing more. AJAX has nothing to do with JSON except
                    > insofar as
                    > > you can choose to use similar techniques using JSON instead of XML -
                    > but at
                    > > that point, it is no longer AJAX.
                    >
                    > It's all Ajax. Ajax is the ability to produce interactive web
                    > applications that do not depend exclusively on page replacement. When
                    > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
                    > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
                    > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
                    > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

                    I agree with Douglas but I think I know where the confusion lies. In
                    Garrett's article

                    "Ajax incorporates . . . data interchange and manipulation using XML
                    and XSLT . . ."

                    I think it is more functional to stop thinking of the term "Ajax" as
                    an acronym and just think of it like Douglas suggests or as the name
                    of the Greek hero.

                    Note "Ajax" is not all capitals in Garrett's article or for the hero.

                    Peter
                  • Ken Robinson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                      At 12:06 PM 1/18/2007, Martin Cooper wrote:

                      >Says you. But the X in AJAX stands for XML, not a variable, and the article
                      >you quote is very clear about that. Whether he knew about JSON at the time
                      >is irrelevant; there are plenty of other formats that he could have talked
                      >about, such as plain text, HTML, JavaScript, etc. But he didn't, he talked
                      >about XML, and he defined Ajax in terms of it.

                      I hate to burst your bubble.

                      Actually the "X" stands for "XMLHttpRequest" as is mentioned in one
                      the answers that follows the article. Did you read the Questions and
                      Answers after the article. There is one answer that addresses this:

                      >Q. Some of the Google examples you cite don't use XML at all. Do I
                      >have to use XML and/or XSLT in an Ajax application?
                      >
                      >A. No. XML is the most fully-developed means of getting data in and
                      >out of an Ajax client, but there's no reason you couldn't accomplish
                      >the same effects using a technology like
                      ><http://www.crockford.com/JSON/>JavaScript Object Notation or any
                      >similar means of structuring data for interchange.

                      Ken

                    • Peter Michaux
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                        On 1/18/07, Ken Robinson <kenrbnsn@...> wrote:

                        > At 12:06 PM 1/18/2007, Martin Cooper wrote:
                        >
                        > >Says you. But the X in AJAX stands for XML, not a variable, and the article
                        > >you quote is very clear about that. Whether he knew about JSON at the time
                        > >is irrelevant; there are plenty of other formats that he could have talked
                        > >about, such as plain text, HTML, JavaScript, etc. But he didn't, he talked
                        > >about XML, and he defined Ajax in terms of it.
                        >
                        > I hate to burst your bubble.
                        >
                        > Actually the "X" stands for "XMLHttpRequest" as is mentioned in one
                        > the answers that follows the article. Did you read the Questions and
                        > Answers after the article. There is one answer that addresses this:

                        From Garrett's article

                        "The name is shorthand for Asynchronous JavaScript + XML"

                        Peter
                      • Todd Kingham
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                          "I am sending some clarifications about the mail.
                          Before you going to discuss the JSON's power, you must know about the
                          technology behind it. It is nothing but AJAX."

                          This is factually incorrect.

                          That would be like saying XML is nothing but Ajax. JSON is merely a way to
                          serialize data-structures for inter-portability, be it storing your objects
                          in a Database or flat file, or sending it across-the-wire to syndicate data
                          between networks, platforms, languages, etc� It's just a universal way to
                          pass data around.

                          Ajax on the other hand is simply a style of writing web applications in
                          which structured data needs to be sent from the server back to the browser.
                          Although JSON is an excellent choice as a "transport layer" in
                          Ajaxapplications it is by no means the only choice. And of course JSON
                          has a
                          much broader scope then just being used to pass data back to Ajax apps.

                          The biggest advantage of JSON over XML is that it tends to be less expensive
                          in terms of size and bandwidth. But XML has built in support in most
                          languages including JavaScript. When it comes to using JSON vs. XML in
                          JavaScript I feel that JSON also offers a much simpler syntax. Of course
                          that is just my humble opinion.

                          In regard to JSON vs XML when it comes to Ajax: I've not seen any
                          benchmarking done on which is more efficient but I will have to say that in
                          my own un-scientific testing I have found JSON to out perform XML. This
                          could of course have nothing to do with JSON being faster then XML, perhaps
                          its just that my XMLparser on the server is slower then my JSONparser??? In
                          any case, since I do get a syntax/size/bandwidth advantage with JSON I feel
                          it's a much better choice.

                          My 2 cents,

                          -Todd

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                            > > When
                            > > Jesse James Garrett first wrote about Ajax
                            > > [http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php%5d
                            > > he did not include JSON in his formulation because he wasn't yet aware
                            > > of it. He did not intend to exclude it.

                            > Says you.

                            Said Garrett in his presentations at The Ajax Experience in San
                            Francisco and at AjaxWorld in Santa Clara last year.
                          • genzoeri
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
                              I think when ajax using json as data interchange format, it's still ajax.

                              --
                              Understanding Code is by far the activity at which professional
                              developers spend most of their time ....
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 19, 2007
                                AJAX is not specific to a particular programming language, data
                                exchange format, or network communications. So when we use json as
                                data exchange format, we still call it as AJAX. Please check this out:
                                http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/3526681
                                Any comment?
                                Regards,
                                Genzoeri.