Re: json date format 2006-12-03T13:56:21

  • geoffreyk00
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 11, 2007
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Michaux" <petermichaux@...>
      > On 1/6/07, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Douglas, is there a particular reason for not including
      > > in json.js?
      > >
      > > You have the source, you can put them in any time you want to.
      > > first, let me ask you a question: How confident that your
      > > clock has millisecond accuracy? And that the latency of the OS +
      > > Browser + JavaScript will not cause significant drift by the
      time it
      > > is delivered to your application? How meaningful will the
      > > be when you put them on the wire and send them to your server,
      > > clock is not in sync with yours? Milliseconds are a waste of
      > A date object is not necessarily constructed with no arguments
      sent to
      > the Date constructor. It could very well be that in some
      > the construction of the Date object could use date data from a user
      > input which has very accurate and critical milliseconds information
      > from another very accurate system.
      > Peter

      The date object may be historical data that truly is millisecond-
      accurate. The object does not have to be constructed when the
      dataset is created or by the server that is delivering the dataset.
      I more likely will have been created long before, with many date
      objects that do need this level of accuracy.

      I can see no reason to not to include milliseconds, and many reasons
      to keep them.