Re: [json] Re: json date format 2006-12-03T13:56:21

  • Peter Michaux
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2007

      > > Douglas, is there a particular reason for not including milliseconds
      > in json.js?
      >
      > You have the source, you can put them in any time you want to. But
      > first, let me ask you a question: How confident that your system's
      > clock has millisecond accuracy? And that the latency of the OS +
      > Browser + JavaScript will not cause significant drift by the time it
      > is delivered to your application? How meaningful will the milliseconds
      > be when you put them on the wire and send them to your server, whose
      > clock is not in sync with yours? Milliseconds are a waste of time.

      A date object is not necessarily constructed with no arguments sent to
      the Date constructor. It could very well be that in some applications
      the construction of the Date object could use date data from a user
      input which has very accurate and critical milliseconds information
      from another very accurate system.

      Peter
    • geoffreyk00
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 11, 2007
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Michaux" <petermichaux@...>
        wrote:

        > On 1/6/07, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Douglas, is there a particular reason for not including
        milliseconds
        > > in json.js?
        > >
        > > You have the source, you can put them in any time you want to.
        But
        > > first, let me ask you a question: How confident that your
        system's
        > > clock has millisecond accuracy? And that the latency of the OS +
        > > Browser + JavaScript will not cause significant drift by the
        time it
        > > is delivered to your application? How meaningful will the
        milliseconds
        > > be when you put them on the wire and send them to your server,
        whose
        > > clock is not in sync with yours? Milliseconds are a waste of
        time.

        > A date object is not necessarily constructed with no arguments
        sent to
        > the Date constructor. It could very well be that in some
        applications
        > the construction of the Date object could use date data from a user
        > input which has very accurate and critical milliseconds information
        > from another very accurate system.
        >
        > Peter

        The date object may be historical data that truly is millisecond-
        accurate. The object does not have to be constructed when the
        dataset is created or by the server that is delivering the dataset.
        I more likely will have been created long before, with many date
        objects that do need this level of accuracy.

        I can see no reason to not to include milliseconds, and many reasons
        to keep them.