Re: [json] Re: json date format 2006-12-03T13:56:21

  • Peter Michaux
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 6, 2007

      > > Douglas, is there a particular reason for not including milliseconds
      > in json.js?
      >
      > You have the source, you can put them in any time you want to. But
      > first, let me ask you a question: How confident that your system's
      > clock has millisecond accuracy? And that the latency of the OS +
      > Browser + JavaScript will not cause significant drift by the time it
      > is delivered to your application? How meaningful will the milliseconds
      > be when you put them on the wire and send them to your server, whose
      > clock is not in sync with yours? Milliseconds are a waste of time.

      I'm sorry for bothering you, sir. Thank you for your answer. I'll go
      back to my corner now.

      Peter
    • Peter Michaux
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2007

        > > Douglas, is there a particular reason for not including milliseconds
        > in json.js?
        >
        > You have the source, you can put them in any time you want to. But
        > first, let me ask you a question: How confident that your system's
        > clock has millisecond accuracy? And that the latency of the OS +
        > Browser + JavaScript will not cause significant drift by the time it
        > is delivered to your application? How meaningful will the milliseconds
        > be when you put them on the wire and send them to your server, whose
        > clock is not in sync with yours? Milliseconds are a waste of time.

        A date object is not necessarily constructed with no arguments sent to
        the Date constructor. It could very well be that in some applications
        the construction of the Date object could use date data from a user
        input which has very accurate and critical milliseconds information
        from another very accurate system.

        Peter
      • geoffreyk00
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 11, 2007
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Michaux" <petermichaux@...>
          wrote:

          > On 1/6/07, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Douglas, is there a particular reason for not including
          milliseconds
          > > in json.js?
          > >
          > > You have the source, you can put them in any time you want to.
          But
          > > first, let me ask you a question: How confident that your
          system's
          > > clock has millisecond accuracy? And that the latency of the OS +
          > > Browser + JavaScript will not cause significant drift by the
          time it
          > > is delivered to your application? How meaningful will the
          milliseconds
          > > be when you put them on the wire and send them to your server,
          whose
          > > clock is not in sync with yours? Milliseconds are a waste of
          time.

          > A date object is not necessarily constructed with no arguments
          sent to
          > the Date constructor. It could very well be that in some
          applications
          > the construction of the Date object could use date data from a user
          > input which has very accurate and critical milliseconds information
          > from another very accurate system.
          >
          > Peter

          The date object may be historical data that truly is millisecond-
          accurate. The object does not have to be constructed when the
          dataset is created or by the server that is delivering the dataset.
          I more likely will have been created long before, with many date
          objects that do need this level of accuracy.

          I can see no reason to not to include milliseconds, and many reasons
          to keep them.