Re: [json] Tidy JSON - Pretty printer/colorer for JSON

  • Josh Sled
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
      On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 00:11 +0100, Atif Aziz wrote:
      > The human-readable aspect of JSON is all well and good in theory, but
      > turns out to be a mute point in practice. Most JSON producers in the
      > current web landscape tend to use zero whitespaces or formatting,
      > favoring (for better or worse) lambda resource savings over human
      > readability. It does, however, make one's life a bit difficult when
      > you're trying to get accustomed to some new JSON data, especially
      > while
      > messing with a live service to get a feel for what it produces and how
      > it works. To help with my own field work, I succumbed to writing my
      > own
      > JSON pretty printer and colorer in C# after failing to find one. The

      I did a similar thing; the attached HTML page is a stand-alone (html +
      javascript) page which contains a text area into which you can paste
      json; on submit it is rendered as a set of nested tables in the page.

      --
      ...jsled
      http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}

    • Josh Sled
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
        On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 11:47 -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
        > I did a similar thing; the attached HTML page is a stand-alone (html +
        > javascript) page which contains a text area into which you can paste
        > json; on submit it is rendered as a set of nested tables in the page.
        [...]

        Pfft. Thanks, Yahoo Groups...

        http://asynchronous.org/2006/json.html.tar.gz is what I'd attached.
        It's archived and compressed in an attempt to disallow the evaluation of
        javascript in the context of my domain.

        ...which makes me realize that I should note that it does interpret the
        json via simple eval(...), so don't use it for untrusted json
        sources. :)