Re: [json] json as js variable

  • Mark Ireland
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
      How would you use dot notation in each case?

      >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
      >To: json@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
      >Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:10:06 -0500
      >
      >Why not return an object w/ 2 properties.
      >
      >One being an array containing field names, the other being an array of
      >arrays, representing data records (that match the field layout).
      >
      >Or the second object setup with properties named after the u80020, but
      >still
      >being just an array of fields in that object.
      >
      >--
      >Matthew P. C. Morley
      >MPCM Technologies Inc.

      Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search Now!
      www.seek.com.au
      http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT
    • Matthew Morley
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
        You would have to do something more than a simple translation.

        If your end goal was to directly reference fields values by name, you would
        need to do an end translation back to the object format in which you were
        trying to avoid by duplicating names. Just a loop to recreate the data
        object from the two arrays.

        You have the knowledge of the fields names and could do your looping in
        another manner, without direct reference anyway. Depends how exposed it is I
        suppose and what level of work you want consumers of the data to do/know. I
        found gzip an easier alternative than object rebuilding when looking at
        performance in my projects

        Depending on the size of your data and lots of other items, it is likely to
        be faster for transmitting due to reduced payload, but it requires you to
        deal with the arrays and not objects unless you rebuild them.

        var row = MyStuff.u80020;
        var field_ISWEATHER = 3;
        var val = MyStuff.u80020[field_ISWEATHER];

        --
        Matthew P. C. Morley
        MPCM Technologies Inc.

      • Mark Ireland
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
          Hopefully I can clear all this up. First I wanted to save on whitespace by
          avoiding
          var myArray = new Array;
          cfloop
          var myArray[myIndex] = new Array;
          myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName1']=#myQuery.myColumn1#;
          myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName2']=#myQuery.myColumn2#;
          etc
          /cfloop

          Then I thought I could dynamically name form elements and get stuff from a
          js object that I could reference with dot notation. (with myIndex as the id
          of the element) Most of the stuff in the object is just flags that determine
          how the page behaves.

          If my goal is the shrink the page size what is the better approach?

          Thanks

          >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
          >To: json@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
          >Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:50:37 -0500
          >
          >You would have to do something more than a simple translation.
          >
          >If your end goal was to directly reference fields values by name, you would
          >need to do an end translation back to the object format in which you were
          >trying to avoid by duplicating names. Just a loop to recreate the data
          >object from the two arrays.
          >
          >You have the knowledge of the fields names and could do your looping in
          >another manner, without direct reference anyway. Depends how exposed it is
          >suppose and what level of work you want consumers of the data to do/know. I
          >found gzip an easier alternative than object rebuilding when looking at
          >performance in my projects
          >
          >Depending on the size of your data and lots of other items, it is likely to
          >be faster for transmitting due to reduced payload, but it requires you to
          >deal with the arrays and not objects unless you rebuild them.
          >
          >var row = MyStuff.u80020;
          >var field_ISWEATHER = 3;
          >var val = MyStuff.u80020[field_ISWEATHER];
          >
          >--
          >Matthew P. C. Morley
          >MPCM Technologies Inc.

          Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
          http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
        • Matthew Morley
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
            It would depend on what you mean by page and how much data you are dealing
            with. 3-10kb range might not make a huge difference on download, 20-300kb
            might. Run some tests and time them in js, just keep in mind that they will
            vary from machine to machine greatly. I keep a 433mhz celeron laptop around
            to make sure I don't lose sight of performance too much.

            If you are worried about transmission speed and you have a fairly big set of
            data going, consider sizing it down. I know it sounds simple, but the
            fastest way to speed up anything is to do less; less data, less parsing.
            Don't optimize and worry about speed until you can prove it is running
            slowly and that the program is only `thinking` as much as it needs to.

            If that is not possible or desired, look at compressing the output with
            something like gzip if the browser supports it, but the numbers all get down
            to your data set. Using objects vs an object with an array of results and an
            array of keys is just a matter for the code/coder. Depends who your consumer
            is. If you want an object, send an object, and compress the communication
            would be my stance.

            Are you generating raw js right into the initial page? If yes, consider
            moving it out into a separate request. That way you can do initial loads and
            refresh with the data as it becomes available.

            --
            Matthew P. C. Morley
            MPCM Technologies Inc.

          • Atif Aziz
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
              I think I know what you're looking for here. Suppose the following
              table:

              var table = {
              "columns" : [ "FirstName", "LastName" ],
              "rows" : [
              [ "Mickey", "Mouse" ],
              [ "Donald", "Duck" ],
              [ "Minnie", "Mouse" ]
              ]
              };

              Suppose further a function we add to the Array object's prototype:

              Array.prototype.toObject = function(names)
              {
              var o = {};
              for (var i = 0; i < names.length; i++)
              o[names[i]] = i < this.length ? this[i] : null;

              return o;
              }

              Now you can conveniently convert any row of the table into an object in
              one swell swoop like this:

              var o = table.rows[1].toObject(table.columns);

              This gives you non-repeating column names in the original table
              definition in JSON, which may be useful to keep the data on the wire
              small, yet object-like access (dot-syntax) to a row once in script.

              Hope this help.

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 20, 2006
                This is the right general idea but . . ...

                I am thinking:
                var myJSObject =
                {"RECORDCOUNT":3,"UNIQUEIDS":["js73012","js73016","js73029"],"COLUMNNAMES":["myColumnName1","myColumnName2","myColumnName3",.
                . ...],"js73012":{"CURRENTROW":1,"c1":9,"c2":2006,"c3":007,. . ....}

                all so I can build a table in a form with dynamically named checkboxs.

                But am I reinventing the wheel here? Should I be using stuff from
                prototype.js?