Re: [json] json as js variable

  • Mark Ireland
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
      Thanks, that got it working.

      Now I am wondering if there is some alternative to repeating the column
      names in every object.

      >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
      >To: json@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
      >Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:41:03 -0500
      >
      >*Identifiers* are names for constants, variables, functions, loop labels,
      >objects and classes. The first character must be an ASCII letter,
      >underscore
      >or dollar sign. Following characters can also include digits.
      >
      >Even 'u80020' will do. You can only use numeric indexes if you are
      >producing
      >an array.
      >
      >--
      >Matthew P. C. Morley

      Join the millions of Australians using Live Search. Try live.com.au
      http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=740&referral=million&URL=http://live.com.au
    • Matthew Morley
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
        Why not return an object w/ 2 properties.

        One being an array containing field names, the other being an array of
        arrays, representing data records (that match the field layout).

        Or the second object setup with properties named after the u80020, but still
        being just an array of fields in that object.

        --
        Matthew P. C. Morley
        MPCM Technologies Inc.

      • Mark Ireland
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
          How would you use dot notation in each case?

          >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
          >To: json@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
          >Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:10:06 -0500
          >
          >Why not return an object w/ 2 properties.
          >
          >One being an array containing field names, the other being an array of
          >arrays, representing data records (that match the field layout).
          >
          >Or the second object setup with properties named after the u80020, but
          >still
          >being just an array of fields in that object.
          >
          >--
          >Matthew P. C. Morley
          >MPCM Technologies Inc.

          Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search Now!
          www.seek.com.au
          http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT
        • Matthew Morley
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
            You would have to do something more than a simple translation.

            If your end goal was to directly reference fields values by name, you would
            need to do an end translation back to the object format in which you were
            trying to avoid by duplicating names. Just a loop to recreate the data
            object from the two arrays.

            You have the knowledge of the fields names and could do your looping in
            another manner, without direct reference anyway. Depends how exposed it is I
            suppose and what level of work you want consumers of the data to do/know. I
            found gzip an easier alternative than object rebuilding when looking at
            performance in my projects

            Depending on the size of your data and lots of other items, it is likely to
            be faster for transmitting due to reduced payload, but it requires you to
            deal with the arrays and not objects unless you rebuild them.

            var row = MyStuff.u80020;
            var field_ISWEATHER = 3;
            var val = MyStuff.u80020[field_ISWEATHER];

            --
            Matthew P. C. Morley
            MPCM Technologies Inc.

          • Mark Ireland
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
              Hopefully I can clear all this up. First I wanted to save on whitespace by
              avoiding
              var myArray = new Array;
              cfloop
              var myArray[myIndex] = new Array;
              myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName1']=#myQuery.myColumn1#;
              myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName2']=#myQuery.myColumn2#;
              etc
              /cfloop

              Then I thought I could dynamically name form elements and get stuff from a
              js object that I could reference with dot notation. (with myIndex as the id
              of the element) Most of the stuff in the object is just flags that determine
              how the page behaves.

              If my goal is the shrink the page size what is the better approach?

              Thanks

              >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
              >To: json@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
              >Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:50:37 -0500
              >
              >You would have to do something more than a simple translation.
              >
              >If your end goal was to directly reference fields values by name, you would
              >need to do an end translation back to the object format in which you were
              >trying to avoid by duplicating names. Just a loop to recreate the data
              >object from the two arrays.
              >
              >You have the knowledge of the fields names and could do your looping in
              >another manner, without direct reference anyway. Depends how exposed it is
              >suppose and what level of work you want consumers of the data to do/know. I
              >found gzip an easier alternative than object rebuilding when looking at
              >performance in my projects
              >
              >Depending on the size of your data and lots of other items, it is likely to
              >be faster for transmitting due to reduced payload, but it requires you to
              >deal with the arrays and not objects unless you rebuild them.
              >
              >var row = MyStuff.u80020;
              >var field_ISWEATHER = 3;
              >var val = MyStuff.u80020[field_ISWEATHER];
              >
              >--
              >Matthew P. C. Morley
              >MPCM Technologies Inc.

              Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
              http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
            • Matthew Morley
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                It would depend on what you mean by page and how much data you are dealing
                with. 3-10kb range might not make a huge difference on download, 20-300kb
                might. Run some tests and time them in js, just keep in mind that they will
                vary from machine to machine greatly. I keep a 433mhz celeron laptop around
                to make sure I don't lose sight of performance too much.

                If you are worried about transmission speed and you have a fairly big set of
                data going, consider sizing it down. I know it sounds simple, but the
                fastest way to speed up anything is to do less; less data, less parsing.
                Don't optimize and worry about speed until you can prove it is running
                slowly and that the program is only `thinking` as much as it needs to.

                If that is not possible or desired, look at compressing the output with
                something like gzip if the browser supports it, but the numbers all get down
                to your data set. Using objects vs an object with an array of results and an
                array of keys is just a matter for the code/coder. Depends who your consumer
                is. If you want an object, send an object, and compress the communication
                would be my stance.

                Are you generating raw js right into the initial page? If yes, consider
                moving it out into a separate request. That way you can do initial loads and
                refresh with the data as it becomes available.

                --
                Matthew P. C. Morley
                MPCM Technologies Inc.

              • Atif Aziz
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                  I think I know what you're looking for here. Suppose the following
                  table:

                  var table = {
                  "columns" : [ "FirstName", "LastName" ],
                  "rows" : [
                  [ "Mickey", "Mouse" ],
                  [ "Donald", "Duck" ],
                  [ "Minnie", "Mouse" ]
                  ]
                  };

                  Suppose further a function we add to the Array object's prototype:

                  Array.prototype.toObject = function(names)
                  {
                  var o = {};
                  for (var i = 0; i < names.length; i++)
                  o[names[i]] = i < this.length ? this[i] : null;

                  return o;
                  }

                  Now you can conveniently convert any row of the table into an object in
                  one swell swoop like this:

                  var o = table.rows[1].toObject(table.columns);

                  This gives you non-repeating column names in the original table
                  definition in JSON, which may be useful to keep the data on the wire
                  small, yet object-like access (dot-syntax) to a row once in script.

                  Hope this help.

                  Now I am wondering if there is some alternative to repeating the column
                  names in every object.

                  >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...
                  <mailto:WickedLogic%40gmail.com> >

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 20, 2006
                    This is the right general idea but . . ...

                    I am thinking:
                    var myJSObject =
                    {"RECORDCOUNT":3,"UNIQUEIDS":["js73012","js73016","js73029"],"COLUMNNAMES":["myColumnName1","myColumnName2","myColumnName3",.
                    . ...],"js73012":{"CURRENTROW":1,"c1":9,"c2":2006,"c3":007,. . ....}

                    all so I can build a table in a form with dynamically named checkboxs.

                    But am I reinventing the wheel here? Should I be using stuff from
                    prototype.js?