Re: [json] json as js variable

  • Matthew Morley
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 11, 2006
      *Identifiers* are names for constants, variables, functions, loop labels,
      objects and classes. The first character must be an ASCII letter, underscore
      or dollar sign. Following characters can also include digits.

      Even 'u80020' will do. You can only use numeric indexes if you are producing
      an array.

      --
      Matthew P. C. Morley

    • Mark Ireland
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
        Thanks, that got it working.

        Now I am wondering if there is some alternative to repeating the column
        names in every object.

        >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
        >To: json@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
        >Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:41:03 -0500
        >
        >*Identifiers* are names for constants, variables, functions, loop labels,
        >objects and classes. The first character must be an ASCII letter,
        >underscore
        >or dollar sign. Following characters can also include digits.
        >
        >Even 'u80020' will do. You can only use numeric indexes if you are
        >producing
        >an array.
        >
        >--
        >Matthew P. C. Morley

        Join the millions of Australians using Live Search. Try live.com.au
        http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=740&referral=million&URL=http://live.com.au
      • Matthew Morley
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
          Why not return an object w/ 2 properties.

          One being an array containing field names, the other being an array of
          arrays, representing data records (that match the field layout).

          Or the second object setup with properties named after the u80020, but still
          being just an array of fields in that object.

          --
          Matthew P. C. Morley
          MPCM Technologies Inc.

        • Mark Ireland
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
            How would you use dot notation in each case?

            >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
            >To: json@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
            >Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:10:06 -0500
            >
            >Why not return an object w/ 2 properties.
            >
            >One being an array containing field names, the other being an array of
            >arrays, representing data records (that match the field layout).
            >
            >Or the second object setup with properties named after the u80020, but
            >still
            >being just an array of fields in that object.
            >
            >--
            >Matthew P. C. Morley
            >MPCM Technologies Inc.

            Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search Now!
            www.seek.com.au
            http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT
          • Matthew Morley
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
              You would have to do something more than a simple translation.

              If your end goal was to directly reference fields values by name, you would
              need to do an end translation back to the object format in which you were
              trying to avoid by duplicating names. Just a loop to recreate the data
              object from the two arrays.

              You have the knowledge of the fields names and could do your looping in
              another manner, without direct reference anyway. Depends how exposed it is I
              suppose and what level of work you want consumers of the data to do/know. I
              found gzip an easier alternative than object rebuilding when looking at
              performance in my projects

              Depending on the size of your data and lots of other items, it is likely to
              be faster for transmitting due to reduced payload, but it requires you to
              deal with the arrays and not objects unless you rebuild them.

              var row = MyStuff.u80020;
              var field_ISWEATHER = 3;
              var val = MyStuff.u80020[field_ISWEATHER];

              --
              Matthew P. C. Morley
              MPCM Technologies Inc.

            • Mark Ireland
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
                Hopefully I can clear all this up. First I wanted to save on whitespace by
                avoiding
                var myArray = new Array;
                cfloop
                var myArray[myIndex] = new Array;
                myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName1']=#myQuery.myColumn1#;
                myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName2']=#myQuery.myColumn2#;
                etc
                /cfloop

                Then I thought I could dynamically name form elements and get stuff from a
                js object that I could reference with dot notation. (with myIndex as the id
                of the element) Most of the stuff in the object is just flags that determine
                how the page behaves.

                If my goal is the shrink the page size what is the better approach?

                Thanks

                >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
                >To: json@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
                >Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:50:37 -0500
                >
                >You would have to do something more than a simple translation.
                >
                >If your end goal was to directly reference fields values by name, you would
                >need to do an end translation back to the object format in which you were
                >trying to avoid by duplicating names. Just a loop to recreate the data
                >object from the two arrays.
                >
                >You have the knowledge of the fields names and could do your looping in
                >another manner, without direct reference anyway. Depends how exposed it is
                >suppose and what level of work you want consumers of the data to do/know. I
                >found gzip an easier alternative than object rebuilding when looking at
                >performance in my projects
                >
                >Depending on the size of your data and lots of other items, it is likely to
                >be faster for transmitting due to reduced payload, but it requires you to
                >deal with the arrays and not objects unless you rebuild them.
                >
                >var row = MyStuff.u80020;
                >var field_ISWEATHER = 3;
                >var val = MyStuff.u80020[field_ISWEATHER];
                >
                >--
                >Matthew P. C. Morley
                >MPCM Technologies Inc.

                Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
                http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
              • Matthew Morley
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                  It would depend on what you mean by page and how much data you are dealing
                  with. 3-10kb range might not make a huge difference on download, 20-300kb
                  might. Run some tests and time them in js, just keep in mind that they will
                  vary from machine to machine greatly. I keep a 433mhz celeron laptop around
                  to make sure I don't lose sight of performance too much.

                  If you are worried about transmission speed and you have a fairly big set of
                  data going, consider sizing it down. I know it sounds simple, but the
                  fastest way to speed up anything is to do less; less data, less parsing.
                  Don't optimize and worry about speed until you can prove it is running
                  slowly and that the program is only `thinking` as much as it needs to.

                  If that is not possible or desired, look at compressing the output with
                  something like gzip if the browser supports it, but the numbers all get down
                  to your data set. Using objects vs an object with an array of results and an
                  array of keys is just a matter for the code/coder. Depends who your consumer
                  is. If you want an object, send an object, and compress the communication
                  would be my stance.

                  Are you generating raw js right into the initial page? If yes, consider
                  moving it out into a separate request. That way you can do initial loads and
                  refresh with the data as it becomes available.

                  --
                  Matthew P. C. Morley
                  MPCM Technologies Inc.

                • Atif Aziz
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                    I think I know what you're looking for here. Suppose the following
                    table:

                    var table = {
                    "columns" : [ "FirstName", "LastName" ],
                    "rows" : [
                    [ "Mickey", "Mouse" ],
                    [ "Donald", "Duck" ],
                    [ "Minnie", "Mouse" ]
                    ]
                    };

                    Suppose further a function we add to the Array object's prototype:

                    Array.prototype.toObject = function(names)
                    {
                    var o = {};
                    for (var i = 0; i < names.length; i++)
                    o[names[i]] = i < this.length ? this[i] : null;

                    return o;
                    }

                    Now you can conveniently convert any row of the table into an object in
                    one swell swoop like this:

                    var o = table.rows[1].toObject(table.columns);

                    This gives you non-repeating column names in the original table
                    definition in JSON, which may be useful to keep the data on the wire
                    small, yet object-like access (dot-syntax) to a row once in script.

                    Hope this help.

                    Now I am wondering if there is some alternative to repeating the column
                    names in every object.

                    >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...
                    <mailto:WickedLogic%40gmail.com> >

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 20, 2006
                      This is the right general idea but . . ...

                      I am thinking:
                      var myJSObject =
                      {"RECORDCOUNT":3,"UNIQUEIDS":["js73012","js73016","js73029"],"COLUMNNAMES":["myColumnName1","myColumnName2","myColumnName3",.
                      . ...],"js73012":{"CURRENTROW":1,"c1":9,"c2":2006,"c3":007,. . ....}

                      all so I can build a table in a form with dynamically named checkboxs.

                      But am I reinventing the wheel here? Should I be using stuff from
                      prototype.js?