Re: [json] json as js variable

  • Mark Ireland
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 10, 2006
      OK Now I have this:
      var myStuff = {
      "80020":{"EM":10,"EY":2006,"ISSILO":1,"ISWEATHER":1,"LATITUDE":-35.9661,"LONGITUDE":144.3712,"PERCENTCOMPLETE":100,"PERCENTQUALITY":0,"SM":7,"STATIONID":80020,"STATIONNAME":GUNBOWER
      GEE TEE STUD,"SY":1910,"X":37,"Y":31},
      "80044":{"EM":10,"EY":2006,"ISSILO":1,"ISWEATHER":1,"LATITUDE":-35.9977,"LONGITUDE":144.4244,"PERCENTCOMPLETE":100,"PERCENTQUALITY":0,"SM":6,"STATIONID":80044,"STATIONNAME":PATHO
      WEST,"SY":1920,"X":55,"Y":41},....
      "80056":{"EM":10,"EY":2006,"ISSILO":0,"ISWEATHER":1,"LATITUDE":-36.2497,"LONGITUDE":144.9531,"PERCENTCOMPLETE":90,"PERCENTQUALITY":0,"SM":1,"STATIONID":80056,"STATIONNAME":TONGALA,"SY":1929,"X":232,"Y":126}
      };

      but I get "missing } after property list" before I have even done anything
      with it.

      >From: Jesse Skinner <jesse@...>
      >To: json@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
      >Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:04:05 -0500
      >
      >It sounds like you want to use a JavaScript object, with your uniqueID
      >column as the key. What you'd do is somehow structure your JSON like so:
      >
      >{
      > "uniqueID1": {
      > "EM": 12,
      > "Y": 136
      > },
      >
      > "uniqueID2": {
      > "EM": 5,
      > "Y": 188
      > },
      >}
      >
      >then if this object is JSON, you could access JSON['uniqueID1'].EM where
      >uniqueID1 is of course one of your unique IDs.
      >
      >If you really want to keep your JSON structure, you could loop over it
      >once and create a JavaScript object like I've illustrated, and use that
      >instead for your lookups.
      >
      >Hope that helps,
      >
      >Jesse Skinner
      >http://www.thefutureoftheweb.com/

      Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
      http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
    • Matthew Morley
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 11, 2006
        *Identifiers* are names for constants, variables, functions, loop labels,
        objects and classes. The first character must be an ASCII letter, underscore
        or dollar sign. Following characters can also include digits.

        Even 'u80020' will do. You can only use numeric indexes if you are producing
        an array.

        --
        Matthew P. C. Morley

      • Mark Ireland
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
          Thanks, that got it working.

          Now I am wondering if there is some alternative to repeating the column
          names in every object.

          >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
          >To: json@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
          >Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:41:03 -0500
          >
          >*Identifiers* are names for constants, variables, functions, loop labels,
          >objects and classes. The first character must be an ASCII letter,
          >underscore
          >or dollar sign. Following characters can also include digits.
          >
          >Even 'u80020' will do. You can only use numeric indexes if you are
          >producing
          >an array.
          >
          >--
          >Matthew P. C. Morley

          Join the millions of Australians using Live Search. Try live.com.au
          http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=740&referral=million&URL=http://live.com.au
        • Matthew Morley
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
            Why not return an object w/ 2 properties.

            One being an array containing field names, the other being an array of
            arrays, representing data records (that match the field layout).

            Or the second object setup with properties named after the u80020, but still
            being just an array of fields in that object.

            --
            Matthew P. C. Morley
            MPCM Technologies Inc.

          • Mark Ireland
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
              How would you use dot notation in each case?

              >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
              >To: json@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
              >Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:10:06 -0500
              >
              >Why not return an object w/ 2 properties.
              >
              >One being an array containing field names, the other being an array of
              >arrays, representing data records (that match the field layout).
              >
              >Or the second object setup with properties named after the u80020, but
              >still
              >being just an array of fields in that object.
              >
              >--
              >Matthew P. C. Morley
              >MPCM Technologies Inc.

              Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search Now!
              www.seek.com.au
              http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT
            • Matthew Morley
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
                You would have to do something more than a simple translation.

                If your end goal was to directly reference fields values by name, you would
                need to do an end translation back to the object format in which you were
                trying to avoid by duplicating names. Just a loop to recreate the data
                object from the two arrays.

                You have the knowledge of the fields names and could do your looping in
                another manner, without direct reference anyway. Depends how exposed it is I
                suppose and what level of work you want consumers of the data to do/know. I
                found gzip an easier alternative than object rebuilding when looking at
                performance in my projects

                Depending on the size of your data and lots of other items, it is likely to
                be faster for transmitting due to reduced payload, but it requires you to
                deal with the arrays and not objects unless you rebuild them.

                var row = MyStuff.u80020;
                var field_ISWEATHER = 3;
                var val = MyStuff.u80020[field_ISWEATHER];

                --
                Matthew P. C. Morley
                MPCM Technologies Inc.

              • Mark Ireland
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
                  Hopefully I can clear all this up. First I wanted to save on whitespace by
                  avoiding
                  var myArray = new Array;
                  cfloop
                  var myArray[myIndex] = new Array;
                  myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName1']=#myQuery.myColumn1#;
                  myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName2']=#myQuery.myColumn2#;
                  etc
                  /cfloop

                  Then I thought I could dynamically name form elements and get stuff from a
                  js object that I could reference with dot notation. (with myIndex as the id
                  of the element) Most of the stuff in the object is just flags that determine
                  how the page behaves.

                  If my goal is the shrink the page size what is the better approach?

                  Thanks

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                    It would depend on what you mean by page and how much data you are dealing
                    with. 3-10kb range might not make a huge difference on download, 20-300kb
                    might. Run some tests and time them in js, just keep in mind that they will
                    vary from machine to machine greatly. I keep a 433mhz celeron laptop around
                    to make sure I don't lose sight of performance too much.

                    If you are worried about transmission speed and you have a fairly big set of
                    data going, consider sizing it down. I know it sounds simple, but the
                    fastest way to speed up anything is to do less; less data, less parsing.
                    Don't optimize and worry about speed until you can prove it is running
                    slowly and that the program is only `thinking` as much as it needs to.

                    If that is not possible or desired, look at compressing the output with
                    something like gzip if the browser supports it, but the numbers all get down
                    to your data set. Using objects vs an object with an array of results and an
                    array of keys is just a matter for the code/coder. Depends who your consumer
                    is. If you want an object, send an object, and compress the communication
                    would be my stance.

                    Are you generating raw js right into the initial page? If yes, consider
                    moving it out into a separate request. That way you can do initial loads and
                    refresh with the data as it becomes available.

                    --
                    Matthew P. C. Morley
                    MPCM Technologies Inc.

                  • Atif Aziz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                      I think I know what you're looking for here. Suppose the following
                      table:

                      var table = {
                      "columns" : [ "FirstName", "LastName" ],
                      "rows" : [
                      [ "Mickey", "Mouse" ],
                      [ "Donald", "Duck" ],
                      [ "Minnie", "Mouse" ]
                      ]
                      };

                      Suppose further a function we add to the Array object's prototype:

                      Array.prototype.toObject = function(names)
                      {
                      var o = {};
                      for (var i = 0; i < names.length; i++)
                      o[names[i]] = i < this.length ? this[i] : null;

                      return o;
                      }

                      Now you can conveniently convert any row of the table into an object in
                      one swell swoop like this:

                      var o = table.rows[1].toObject(table.columns);

                      This gives you non-repeating column names in the original table
                      definition in JSON, which may be useful to keep the data on the wire
                      small, yet object-like access (dot-syntax) to a row once in script.

                      Hope this help.

                      Now I am wondering if there is some alternative to repeating the column
                      names in every object.

                      >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...
                      <mailto:WickedLogic%40gmail.com> >

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 20, 2006
                        This is the right general idea but . . ...

                        I am thinking:
                        var myJSObject =
                        {"RECORDCOUNT":3,"UNIQUEIDS":["js73012","js73016","js73029"],"COLUMNNAMES":["myColumnName1","myColumnName2","myColumnName3",.
                        . ...],"js73012":{"CURRENTROW":1,"c1":9,"c2":2006,"c3":007,. . ....}

                        all so I can build a table in a form with dynamically named checkboxs.

                        But am I reinventing the wheel here? Should I be using stuff from
                        prototype.js?