Re: [json] json as js variable

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 10, 2006
      On 12/10/06, Mark Ireland <markincuba@...> wrote:

      > Here is one I prepared earlier:
      >

      > {"RECORDCOUNT":30,"COLUMNLIST":"EM,EY,ISSILO,ISWEATHER,LATITUDE,LONGITUDE,PERCENTCOMPLETE,PERCENTQUALITY,SM,UNIQUEID,STATIONNAME,SY,X,Y","DATA":{"EM":[12,5,12,4,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,12,10,10,9,12,11,11,12,12,12,10,10,9,3,10],"EY":[2005,2005,2005,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,2006,.
      > . . . . . .
      >
      > .....,"X":[291,28,152,171,109,96,268,126,250,123,174,188,199,251,91,238,147,274,97,274,126,167,100,145,207,146,120,160,241,232],"Y":[136,188,197,226,212,211,128,113,126,179,197,175,176,148,51,147,252,153,66,180,224,158,83,73,122,131,151,250,178,134]}};
      >
      > I could just loop through this testing for my uniqueID but surely someone
      > has written something quicker and more reusable than that? Is this not a
      > standard structure?

      Depends on how you define "standard", but no, it's not anything I would call
      a standard. I believe it's a format that comes from the CFJSON library, so
      that would be the place to look for helper code to access the data.

      >From: "Martin Cooper" <mfncooper@...>
      > >To: json@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
      > >Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:13:22 -0800
      > >
      > >On 12/10/06, Mark Ireland <markincuba@...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Thanks. I was hoping there was a js function library where you just
      > pass
      > > > the
      > > > unique id and the row is returned.
      > > > Is there one?
      > >

      > >What do you mean? There is no concept of "row" in JSON, or even unique
      > IDs,
      > >for that matter, beyond the property names in an object. Any structure
      > you
      > >are imposing on your JSON objects is your own, so there isn't going to be
      > >library out there to manipulate that unless you write it. ;-)
      > >
      > >--
      > >Martin Cooper

      > Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search
      > Now!
      > www.seek.com.au
      >
      > http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT

    • Mark Ireland
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 10, 2006
        OK Now I have this:
        var myStuff = {
        "80020":{"EM":10,"EY":2006,"ISSILO":1,"ISWEATHER":1,"LATITUDE":-35.9661,"LONGITUDE":144.3712,"PERCENTCOMPLETE":100,"PERCENTQUALITY":0,"SM":7,"STATIONID":80020,"STATIONNAME":GUNBOWER
        GEE TEE STUD,"SY":1910,"X":37,"Y":31},
        "80044":{"EM":10,"EY":2006,"ISSILO":1,"ISWEATHER":1,"LATITUDE":-35.9977,"LONGITUDE":144.4244,"PERCENTCOMPLETE":100,"PERCENTQUALITY":0,"SM":6,"STATIONID":80044,"STATIONNAME":PATHO
        WEST,"SY":1920,"X":55,"Y":41},....
        "80056":{"EM":10,"EY":2006,"ISSILO":0,"ISWEATHER":1,"LATITUDE":-36.2497,"LONGITUDE":144.9531,"PERCENTCOMPLETE":90,"PERCENTQUALITY":0,"SM":1,"STATIONID":80056,"STATIONNAME":TONGALA,"SY":1929,"X":232,"Y":126}
        };

        but I get "missing } after property list" before I have even done anything
        with it.

        >From: Jesse Skinner <jesse@...>
        >To: json@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
        >Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:04:05 -0500
        >
        >It sounds like you want to use a JavaScript object, with your uniqueID
        >column as the key. What you'd do is somehow structure your JSON like so:
        >
        >{
        > "uniqueID1": {
        > "EM": 12,
        > "Y": 136
        > },
        >
        > "uniqueID2": {
        > "EM": 5,
        > "Y": 188
        > },
        >}
        >
        >then if this object is JSON, you could access JSON['uniqueID1'].EM where
        >uniqueID1 is of course one of your unique IDs.
        >
        >If you really want to keep your JSON structure, you could loop over it
        >once and create a JavaScript object like I've illustrated, and use that
        >instead for your lookups.
        >
        >Hope that helps,
        >
        >Jesse Skinner
        >http://www.thefutureoftheweb.com/

        Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
        http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
      • Matthew Morley
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 11, 2006
          *Identifiers* are names for constants, variables, functions, loop labels,
          objects and classes. The first character must be an ASCII letter, underscore
          or dollar sign. Following characters can also include digits.

          Even 'u80020' will do. You can only use numeric indexes if you are producing
          an array.

          --
          Matthew P. C. Morley

        • Mark Ireland
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
            Thanks, that got it working.

            Now I am wondering if there is some alternative to repeating the column
            names in every object.

            >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...>
            >To: json@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [json] json as js variable
            >Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:41:03 -0500
            >
            >*Identifiers* are names for constants, variables, functions, loop labels,
            >objects and classes. The first character must be an ASCII letter,
            >underscore
            >or dollar sign. Following characters can also include digits.
            >
            >Even 'u80020' will do. You can only use numeric indexes if you are
            >producing
            >an array.
            >
            >--
            >Matthew P. C. Morley

            Join the millions of Australians using Live Search. Try live.com.au
            http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=740&referral=million&URL=http://live.com.au
          • Matthew Morley
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
              Why not return an object w/ 2 properties.

              One being an array containing field names, the other being an array of
              arrays, representing data records (that match the field layout).

              Or the second object setup with properties named after the u80020, but still
              being just an array of fields in that object.

              --
              Matthew P. C. Morley
              MPCM Technologies Inc.

            • Mark Ireland
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 17, 2006
                How would you use dot notation in each case?

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
                  You would have to do something more than a simple translation.

                  If your end goal was to directly reference fields values by name, you would
                  need to do an end translation back to the object format in which you were
                  trying to avoid by duplicating names. Just a loop to recreate the data
                  object from the two arrays.

                  You have the knowledge of the fields names and could do your looping in
                  another manner, without direct reference anyway. Depends how exposed it is I
                  suppose and what level of work you want consumers of the data to do/know. I
                  found gzip an easier alternative than object rebuilding when looking at
                  performance in my projects

                  Depending on the size of your data and lots of other items, it is likely to
                  be faster for transmitting due to reduced payload, but it requires you to
                  deal with the arrays and not objects unless you rebuild them.

                  var row = MyStuff.u80020;
                  var field_ISWEATHER = 3;
                  var val = MyStuff.u80020[field_ISWEATHER];

                  --
                  Matthew P. C. Morley
                  MPCM Technologies Inc.

                • Mark Ireland
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
                    Hopefully I can clear all this up. First I wanted to save on whitespace by
                    avoiding
                    var myArray = new Array;
                    cfloop
                    var myArray[myIndex] = new Array;
                    myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName1']=#myQuery.myColumn1#;
                    myArray[myIndex]['mycolumnName2']=#myQuery.myColumn2#;
                    etc
                    /cfloop

                    Then I thought I could dynamically name form elements and get stuff from a
                    js object that I could reference with dot notation. (with myIndex as the id
                    of the element) Most of the stuff in the object is just flags that determine
                    how the page behaves.

                    If my goal is the shrink the page size what is the better approach?

                    Thanks

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                      It would depend on what you mean by page and how much data you are dealing
                      with. 3-10kb range might not make a huge difference on download, 20-300kb
                      might. Run some tests and time them in js, just keep in mind that they will
                      vary from machine to machine greatly. I keep a 433mhz celeron laptop around
                      to make sure I don't lose sight of performance too much.

                      If you are worried about transmission speed and you have a fairly big set of
                      data going, consider sizing it down. I know it sounds simple, but the
                      fastest way to speed up anything is to do less; less data, less parsing.
                      Don't optimize and worry about speed until you can prove it is running
                      slowly and that the program is only `thinking` as much as it needs to.

                      If that is not possible or desired, look at compressing the output with
                      something like gzip if the browser supports it, but the numbers all get down
                      to your data set. Using objects vs an object with an array of results and an
                      array of keys is just a matter for the code/coder. Depends who your consumer
                      is. If you want an object, send an object, and compress the communication
                      would be my stance.

                      Are you generating raw js right into the initial page? If yes, consider
                      moving it out into a separate request. That way you can do initial loads and
                      refresh with the data as it becomes available.

                      --
                      Matthew P. C. Morley
                      MPCM Technologies Inc.

                    • Atif Aziz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 19, 2006
                        I think I know what you're looking for here. Suppose the following
                        table:

                        var table = {
                        "columns" : [ "FirstName", "LastName" ],
                        "rows" : [
                        [ "Mickey", "Mouse" ],
                        [ "Donald", "Duck" ],
                        [ "Minnie", "Mouse" ]
                        ]
                        };

                        Suppose further a function we add to the Array object's prototype:

                        Array.prototype.toObject = function(names)
                        {
                        var o = {};
                        for (var i = 0; i < names.length; i++)
                        o[names[i]] = i < this.length ? this[i] : null;

                        return o;
                        }

                        Now you can conveniently convert any row of the table into an object in
                        one swell swoop like this:

                        var o = table.rows[1].toObject(table.columns);

                        This gives you non-repeating column names in the original table
                        definition in JSON, which may be useful to keep the data on the wire
                        small, yet object-like access (dot-syntax) to a row once in script.

                        Hope this help.

                        Now I am wondering if there is some alternative to repeating the column
                        names in every object.

                        >From: "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...
                        <mailto:WickedLogic%40gmail.com> >

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 20, 2006
                          This is the right general idea but . . ...

                          I am thinking:
                          var myJSObject =
                          {"RECORDCOUNT":3,"UNIQUEIDS":["js73012","js73016","js73029"],"COLUMNNAMES":["myColumnName1","myColumnName2","myColumnName3",.
                          . ...],"js73012":{"CURRENTROW":1,"c1":9,"c2":2006,"c3":007,. . ....}

                          all so I can build a table in a form with dynamically named checkboxs.

                          But am I reinventing the wheel here? Should I be using stuff from
                          prototype.js?