RE: [json] json

  • Marc Canter
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
      Well what I would say is:

      - microformats are xHTML tags - intended on providing standards for
      new forms of structured data

      - JSON = I haven't the foggiest - just got here (common data
      interchange verbs?) (OpenAPIs???)

      What IS JSON?

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
        > So how does this JSON thing compare to this:
        >
        > http://microformats.org/
        >
        > Inquiring minds want to know.

        Completely unrelated.

        JSON is a data encoding standard, while Microformats are an attempt
        to formalize certain common types of meaningful information (event
        listings, contact information, "tags", etc.) into HTML readable by
        people and machines.

        -mike.

        michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Roland H. Alden" <ralden@r...> wrote:
          > So how does this JSON thing compare to this:
          >
          > http://microformats.org/
          >
          > Inquiring minds want to know.

          microformats is layered on top of XML. JSON could replace the XML
          layer. JSON is used to represent values (string, numbers, booleans,
          null) in sequences (aka arrays) and collections of name/value pairs
          (aka objects).
        • Roland H. Alden
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
            > microformats is layered on top of XML. JSON could replace the XML
            > layer. JSON is used to represent values (string, numbers, booleans,
            > null) in sequences (aka arrays) and collections of name/value pairs
            > (aka objects).

            How is it compared to ASN.1?

            What's "JSON" stand for?
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005

              It is considerably simpler. It is described at http://www.JSON.org

              > What's "JSON" stand for?

              JavaScript Object Notation.
            • Nic Ferrier
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
                "Roland H. Alden" <ralden@...> writes:

                >> microformats is layered on top of XML. JSON could replace the XML
                >> layer. JSON is used to represent values (string, numbers, booleans,
                >> null) in sequences (aka arrays) and collections of name/value pairs
                >> (aka objects).
                >
                > How is it compared to ASN.1?

                It's quite a long way from ASN.1. ASN.1 is a data definition language
                (a schema language if you like).

                JSON is a data format.

                ASN.1 is like XML-Schema and JSON is like XML.

                > What's "JSON" stand for?

                Top search on google tells you:

                Introducing JSON
                JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) is a lightweight data-interchange
                format. ... These properties make JSON an ideal data-interchange
                language. ...
                www.json.org/ - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

                Nic Ferrier
                http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk