Re: [json] Re: json.js breaks for-in loops

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
      On 11/13/06, Stephen M. McKamey <jsonml@...> wrote:

      > // This should do what you are asking for while staying
      > // current with Crockford's latest code:

      Right. But I don't understand the resistance (or, actually, just lack of any
      feedback at all) to having the kind of solution I described before (in
      another thread) incorporated into the original source code, so that we don't
      have to be going and deleting things like that. Here's what I suggested
      before, which is largely the same as yours, except that mine avoids creation
      where yours utilises deletion and is necessarily separate (and hence a
      little less easily maintained) from the original:

      // after json.js has loaded...

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
        JavaScript is an imperfect language. The weird interaction between
        augmentation of prototypes with the for..in statement is evidence of
        this. This defect in the language requires that for..in blocks
        explicitly filter out unwanted stuff that is dredged up from the
        prototype chain. See http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/09/26/for-in-intrigue/

        json.js provides the same API that will be built into ECMAScript
        Fourth Edition. That means that if your program works with json.js,
        then it will work even better when the language is revised.

        Some people do not have the luxury of being forward looking. They have
        to work with bad code that does not filter for..in, or they claim the
        right to write bad code themselves. Those people should not be using
        json.js. Fortunately, JSON encoding and decoding is so easy, there
        isn't much effort required to make an implementation that works with
        bad code.

        JSON is a standard data representation. The json.js implementation is
        not the standard. It is a reference implementation. You are free to
        use it in any way that you want, or to not use it.