Re: JsonML

  • Stephen M. McKamey
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
      To be honest, JsonML was never meant to replace XML, simply to more
      tightly work with XML-based markup in a JSON-savvy framework.

      I don't see any reason why shorthand for XML namespaces couldn't be
      supported as part of the tag-name (e.g. "myns:my-element"), but I
      haven't formalize a way to specify what the alias resolves
      to.
      It makes sense that it would be the same as in XML where there are
      simply
      attributes on the root element which specify this:

      ["html:div",
      {
      "xmlns":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml",
      "xmlns:html":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
      },
      ...]

      As for processing instructions, I'm not sure what an applicable
      instruction would be as it depends on the recieving client. If you
      look at my example build script for building DOM, I have a commented
      out section which effectively enables script blocks to be sent and
      executed. This might be the analogy that you are looking for, but
      I've
      excluded it from the default implementation due to security issues.

      And finally XML comments are really not consistent with the purpose
      of
      this syntax, and as such I would recommend dropping them.

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:
      > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?
    • Stephen M. McKamey
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
        I just posted on http://jsonml.org an XSLT for generically converting
        XML to JsonML. This might help people better visualize the markup.

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:

        > Douglas Crockford wrote:
        > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
        > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML
        (much
        > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
        > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
        > >
        > > http://jsonml.org/
        >

        > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?
        >

        > --
        > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
        >
        > Cheers,
        > --MarkM

      • Gaetano Giunta
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
          Hi all.

          I tought you might interested in the comparison of PHP json libs I posted here:
          http://gggeek.altervista.org/sw/article_20061113.html

          Any feedback is appreciated.

          Bye
          Gaetano Giunta
        • Stephen M. McKamey
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 22, 2007
            I just updated the JsonML UI builder script to allow a filter
            callback similar to the JSON filter. The usefulness here is that as
            a DOM tree is built out from a JsonML structure, each node can be
            either filtered or modified before it is returned. This is an easy
            way to attach unobtrusive javascript and Ajax hooks.

            http://jsonml.org

            Thanks,
            smm

            P.S. I plan to have some examples soon.