Re: JsonML

  • Stephen M. McKamey
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
      I just joined as you were writing...

      I noticed the post about the grammar redundancy and you are right, so
      I changed it last night. Also I made some simplifications based on
      Douglas Crockford's suggestion that have reduced the total JSON-text
      size and improved rendering speed.

      Thanks,
      Stephen

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cooper" <mfncooper@...> wrote:

      > On 11/12/06, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Douglas Crockford wrote:
      > > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was
      not
      > > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than
      XML (much
      > > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
      > > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
      > > >
      > > > http://jsonml.org/
      > >
      > > From there:
      > >
      > > > attribute-list
      > > > = attribute ',' attribute-list
      > > > ;
      > > > attribute
      > > > = attribute-name ':' attribute-value ',' attribute
      > > > ;
      > >
      > > From this BNF, a comma separated list of attribute is an
      attribute, but is
      > > also an attribute-list. I think you left in a redundant
      production.

      > As far as I can tell, Doug is just the messenger here, and is not
      > responsible for JsonML. Also, there's no indication that the real
      author
      > (Stephen M. McKamey, according to the web site) is on this list. So
      you
      > might want to direct your feedback to the author instead of the
      messenger.
      > ;-)
      >
      > --
      > Martin Cooper
      >

      > --
      > > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > --MarkM

    • Stephen M. McKamey
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
        To be honest, JsonML was never meant to replace XML, simply to more
        tightly work with XML-based markup in a JSON-savvy framework.

        I don't see any reason why shorthand for XML namespaces couldn't be
        supported as part of the tag-name (e.g. "myns:my-element"), but I
        haven't formalize a way to specify what the alias resolves
        to.
        It makes sense that it would be the same as in XML where there are
        simply
        attributes on the root element which specify this:

        ["html:div",
        {
        "xmlns":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml",
        "xmlns:html":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
        },
        ...]

        As for processing instructions, I'm not sure what an applicable
        instruction would be as it depends on the recieving client. If you
        look at my example build script for building DOM, I have a commented
        out section which effectively enables script blocks to be sent and
        executed. This might be the analogy that you are looking for, but
        I've
        excluded it from the default implementation due to security issues.

        And finally XML comments are really not consistent with the purpose
        of
        this syntax, and as such I would recommend dropping them.

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:
        > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?
      • Stephen M. McKamey
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
          I just posted on http://jsonml.org an XSLT for generically converting
          XML to JsonML. This might help people better visualize the markup.

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:

          > Douglas Crockford wrote:
          > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
          > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML
          (much
          > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
          > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
          > >
          > > http://jsonml.org/
          >

          > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?
          >

          > --
          > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
          >
          > Cheers,
          > --MarkM

        • Gaetano Giunta
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
            Hi all.

            I tought you might interested in the comparison of PHP json libs I posted here:
            http://gggeek.altervista.org/sw/article_20061113.html

            Any feedback is appreciated.

            Bye
            Gaetano Giunta
          • Stephen M. McKamey
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 22, 2007
              I just updated the JsonML UI builder script to allow a filter
              callback similar to the JSON filter. The usefulness here is that as
              a DOM tree is built out from a JsonML structure, each node can be
              either filtered or modified before it is returned. This is an easy
              way to attach unobtrusive javascript and Ajax hooks.

              http://jsonml.org

              Thanks,
              smm

              P.S. I plan to have some examples soon.