Re: [json] JsonML

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
      On 11/12/06, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:

      > Douglas Crockford wrote:
      > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
      > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML (much
      > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
      > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
      > >
      > > http://jsonml.org/
      >
      > From there:
      >
      > > attribute-list
      > > = attribute ',' attribute-list
      > > | attribute
      > > ;
      > > attribute
      > > = attribute-name ':' attribute-value ',' attribute
      > > | attribute-name ':' attribute-value
      > > ;
      >
      > From this BNF, a comma separated list of attribute is an attribute, but is
      > also an attribute-list. I think you left in a redundant production.

      As far as I can tell, Doug is just the messenger here, and is not
      responsible for JsonML. Also, there's no indication that the real author
      (Stephen M. McKamey, according to the web site) is on this list. So you
      might want to direct your feedback to the author instead of the messenger.
      ;-)

      > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
      >
      > Cheers,
      > --MarkM

    • Stephen M. McKamey
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
        I just joined as you were writing...

        I noticed the post about the grammar redundancy and you are right, so
        I changed it last night. Also I made some simplifications based on
        Douglas Crockford's suggestion that have reduced the total JSON-text
        size and improved rendering speed.

        Thanks,
        Stephen

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cooper" <mfncooper@...> wrote:

        > On 11/12/06, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Douglas Crockford wrote:
        > > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was
        not
        > > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than
        XML (much
        > > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
        > > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
        > > >
        > > > http://jsonml.org/
        > >
        > > From there:
        > >
        > > > attribute-list
        > > > = attribute ',' attribute-list
        > > > ;
        > > > attribute
        > > > = attribute-name ':' attribute-value ',' attribute
        > > > ;
        > >
        > > From this BNF, a comma separated list of attribute is an
        attribute, but is
        > > also an attribute-list. I think you left in a redundant
        production.

        > As far as I can tell, Doug is just the messenger here, and is not
        > responsible for JsonML. Also, there's no indication that the real
        author
        > (Stephen M. McKamey, according to the web site) is on this list. So
        you
        > might want to direct your feedback to the author instead of the
        messenger.
        > ;-)
        >
        > --
        > Martin Cooper
        >

        > --
        > > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > --MarkM

      • Stephen M. McKamey
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
          To be honest, JsonML was never meant to replace XML, simply to more
          tightly work with XML-based markup in a JSON-savvy framework.

          I don't see any reason why shorthand for XML namespaces couldn't be
          supported as part of the tag-name (e.g. "myns:my-element"), but I
          haven't formalize a way to specify what the alias resolves
          to.
          It makes sense that it would be the same as in XML where there are
          simply
          attributes on the root element which specify this:

          ["html:div",
          {
          "xmlns":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml",
          "xmlns:html":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
          },
          ...]

          As for processing instructions, I'm not sure what an applicable
          instruction would be as it depends on the recieving client. If you
          look at my example build script for building DOM, I have a commented
          out section which effectively enables script blocks to be sent and
          executed. This might be the analogy that you are looking for, but
          I've
          excluded it from the default implementation due to security issues.

          And finally XML comments are really not consistent with the purpose
          of
          this syntax, and as such I would recommend dropping them.

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:
          > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?
        • Stephen M. McKamey
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
            I just posted on http://jsonml.org an XSLT for generically converting
            XML to JsonML. This might help people better visualize the markup.

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:

            > Douglas Crockford wrote:
            > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
            > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML
            (much
            > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
            > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
            > >
            > > http://jsonml.org/
            >

            > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?
            >

            > --
            > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
            >
            > Cheers,
            > --MarkM

          • Gaetano Giunta
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
              Hi all.

              I tought you might interested in the comparison of PHP json libs I posted here:
              http://gggeek.altervista.org/sw/article_20061113.html

              Any feedback is appreciated.

              Bye
              Gaetano Giunta
            • Stephen M. McKamey
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 22, 2007
                I just updated the JsonML UI builder script to allow a filter
                callback similar to the JSON filter. The usefulness here is that as
                a DOM tree is built out from a JsonML structure, each node can be
                either filtered or modified before it is returned. This is an easy
                way to attach unobtrusive javascript and Ajax hooks.

                http://jsonml.org

                Thanks,
                smm

                P.S. I plan to have some examples soon.