Re: [json] JsonML

  • Mark Miller
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 2006
      Douglas Crockford wrote:
      > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
      > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML (much
      > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
      > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
      >
      > http://jsonml.org/

      What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?

      Cheers,
      --MarkM
    • Michal Migurski
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
        > Douglas Crockford wrote:
        > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
        > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML
        > (much
        > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
        > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
        > >
        > > http://jsonml.org/
        >
        > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?

        La, la, la (hands placed over ears).

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
          On 11/12/06, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:

          > Douglas Crockford wrote:
          > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
          > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML (much
          > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
          > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
          > >
          > > http://jsonml.org/
          >
          > From there:
          >
          > > attribute-list
          > > = attribute ',' attribute-list
          > > | attribute
          > > ;
          > > attribute
          > > = attribute-name ':' attribute-value ',' attribute
          > > | attribute-name ':' attribute-value
          > > ;
          >
          > From this BNF, a comma separated list of attribute is an attribute, but is
          > also an attribute-list. I think you left in a redundant production.

          As far as I can tell, Doug is just the messenger here, and is not
          responsible for JsonML. Also, there's no indication that the real author
          (Stephen M. McKamey, according to the web site) is on this list. So you
          might want to direct your feedback to the author instead of the messenger.
          ;-)

          > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
          >
          > Cheers,
          > --MarkM

        • Stephen M. McKamey
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
            I just joined as you were writing...

            I noticed the post about the grammar redundancy and you are right, so
            I changed it last night. Also I made some simplifications based on
            Douglas Crockford's suggestion that have reduced the total JSON-text
            size and improved rendering speed.

            Thanks,
            Stephen

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cooper" <mfncooper@...> wrote:

            > On 11/12/06, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Douglas Crockford wrote:
            > > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was
            not
            > > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than
            XML (much
            > > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
            > > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
            > > >
            > > > http://jsonml.org/
            > >
            > > From there:
            > >
            > > > attribute-list
            > > > = attribute ',' attribute-list
            > > > ;
            > > > attribute
            > > > = attribute-name ':' attribute-value ',' attribute
            > > > ;
            > >
            > > From this BNF, a comma separated list of attribute is an
            attribute, but is
            > > also an attribute-list. I think you left in a redundant
            production.

            > As far as I can tell, Doug is just the messenger here, and is not
            > responsible for JsonML. Also, there's no indication that the real
            author
            > (Stephen M. McKamey, according to the web site) is on this list. So
            you
            > might want to direct your feedback to the author instead of the
            messenger.
            > ;-)
            >
            > --
            > Martin Cooper
            >

            > --
            > > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > --MarkM

          • Stephen M. McKamey
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
              To be honest, JsonML was never meant to replace XML, simply to more
              tightly work with XML-based markup in a JSON-savvy framework.

              I don't see any reason why shorthand for XML namespaces couldn't be
              supported as part of the tag-name (e.g. "myns:my-element"), but I
              haven't formalize a way to specify what the alias resolves
              to.
              It makes sense that it would be the same as in XML where there are
              simply
              attributes on the root element which specify this:

              ["html:div",
              {
              "xmlns":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml",
              "xmlns:html":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
              },
              ...]

              As for processing instructions, I'm not sure what an applicable
              instruction would be as it depends on the recieving client. If you
              look at my example build script for building DOM, I have a commented
              out section which effectively enables script blocks to be sent and
              executed. This might be the analogy that you are looking for, but
              I've
              excluded it from the default implementation due to security issues.

              And finally XML comments are really not consistent with the purpose
              of
              this syntax, and as such I would recommend dropping them.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
                I just posted on http://jsonml.org an XSLT for generically converting
                XML to JsonML. This might help people better visualize the markup.

                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:

                > Douglas Crockford wrote:
                > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
                > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML
                (much
                > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
                > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
                > >
                > > http://jsonml.org/
                >

                > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?
                >

                > --
                > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
                >
                > Cheers,
                > --MarkM

              • Gaetano Giunta
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                  Hi all.

                  I tought you might interested in the comparison of PHP json libs I posted here:
                  http://gggeek.altervista.org/sw/article_20061113.html

                  Any feedback is appreciated.

                  Bye
                  Gaetano Giunta
                • Stephen M. McKamey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 22, 2007
                    I just updated the JsonML UI builder script to allow a filter
                    callback similar to the JSON filter. The usefulness here is that as
                    a DOM tree is built out from a JsonML structure, each node can be
                    either filtered or modified before it is returned. This is an easy
                    way to attach unobtrusive javascript and Ajax hooks.

                    http://jsonml.org

                    Thanks,
                    smm

                    P.S. I plan to have some examples soon.