JsonML

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 2006
      JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
      designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML (much
      as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
      JsonML might be useful for some purposes.

      http://jsonml.org/
    • Mark Miller
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 12, 2006
        Douglas Crockford wrote:
        > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
        > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML (much
        > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
        > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
        >
        > http://jsonml.org/

        From there:

        > attribute-list
        > = attribute ',' attribute-list
        > | attribute
        > ;
        > attribute
        > = attribute-name ':' attribute-value ',' attribute
        > | attribute-name ':' attribute-value
        > ;

        From this BNF, a comma separated list of attribute is an attribute, but is
        also an attribute-list. I think you left in a redundant production.

        Cheers,
        --MarkM
      • Mark Miller
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 12, 2006
          Douglas Crockford wrote:
          > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
          > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML (much
          > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
          > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
          >
          > http://jsonml.org/

          What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?

          Cheers,
          --MarkM
        • Michal Migurski
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
            > Douglas Crockford wrote:
            > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
            > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML
            > (much
            > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
            > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
            > >
            > > http://jsonml.org/
            >
            > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?

            La, la, la (hands placed over ears).

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
              On 11/12/06, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:

              > Douglas Crockford wrote:
              > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
              > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML (much
              > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
              > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
              > >
              > > http://jsonml.org/
              >
              > From there:
              >
              > > attribute-list
              > > = attribute ',' attribute-list
              > > | attribute
              > > ;
              > > attribute
              > > = attribute-name ':' attribute-value ',' attribute
              > > | attribute-name ':' attribute-value
              > > ;
              >
              > From this BNF, a comma separated list of attribute is an attribute, but is
              > also an attribute-list. I think you left in a redundant production.

              As far as I can tell, Doug is just the messenger here, and is not
              responsible for JsonML. Also, there's no indication that the real author
              (Stephen M. McKamey, according to the web site) is on this list. So you
              might want to direct your feedback to the author instead of the messenger.
              ;-)

              > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
              >
              > Cheers,
              > --MarkM

            • Stephen M. McKamey
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
                I just joined as you were writing...

                I noticed the post about the grammar redundancy and you are right, so
                I changed it last night. Also I made some simplifications based on
                Douglas Crockford's suggestion that have reduced the total JSON-text
                size and improved rendering speed.

                Thanks,
                Stephen

                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cooper" <mfncooper@...> wrote:

                > On 11/12/06, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Douglas Crockford wrote:
                > > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was
                not
                > > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than
                XML (much
                > > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
                > > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
                > > >
                > > > http://jsonml.org/
                > >
                > > From there:
                > >
                > > > attribute-list
                > > > = attribute ',' attribute-list
                > > > ;
                > > > attribute
                > > > = attribute-name ':' attribute-value ',' attribute
                > > > ;
                > >
                > > From this BNF, a comma separated list of attribute is an
                attribute, but is
                > > also an attribute-list. I think you left in a redundant
                production.

                > As far as I can tell, Doug is just the messenger here, and is not
                > responsible for JsonML. Also, there's no indication that the real
                author
                > (Stephen M. McKamey, according to the web site) is on this list. So
                you
                > might want to direct your feedback to the author instead of the
                messenger.
                > ;-)
                >
                > --
                > Martin Cooper
                >

                > --
                > > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > --MarkM

              • Stephen M. McKamey
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
                  To be honest, JsonML was never meant to replace XML, simply to more
                  tightly work with XML-based markup in a JSON-savvy framework.

                  I don't see any reason why shorthand for XML namespaces couldn't be
                  supported as part of the tag-name (e.g. "myns:my-element"), but I
                  haven't formalize a way to specify what the alias resolves
                  to.
                  It makes sense that it would be the same as in XML where there are
                  simply
                  attributes on the root element which specify this:

                  ["html:div",
                  {
                  "xmlns":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml",
                  "xmlns:html":"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
                  },
                  ...]

                  As for processing instructions, I'm not sure what an applicable
                  instruction would be as it depends on the recieving client. If you
                  look at my example build script for building DOM, I have a commented
                  out section which effectively enables script blocks to be sent and
                  executed. This might be the analogy that you are looking for, but
                  I've
                  excluded it from the default implementation due to security issues.

                  And finally XML comments are really not consistent with the purpose
                  of
                  this syntax, and as such I would recommend dropping them.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
                    I just posted on http://jsonml.org an XSLT for generically converting
                    XML to JsonML. This might help people better visualize the markup.

                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <markm@...> wrote:

                    > Douglas Crockford wrote:
                    > > JsonML is an application of JSON for document markup. JSON was not
                    > > designed for such applications, and is not as effective than XML
                    (much
                    > > as XML is less effective than JSON for data interchange). Still,
                    > > JsonML might be useful for some purposes.
                    > >
                    > > http://jsonml.org/
                    >

                    > What about XML namespaces? Processing instructions? XML comments?
                    >

                    > --
                    > Text by me above is hereby placed in the public domain
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > --MarkM

                  • Gaetano Giunta
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                      Hi all.

                      I tought you might interested in the comparison of PHP json libs I posted here:
                      http://gggeek.altervista.org/sw/article_20061113.html

                      Any feedback is appreciated.

                      Bye
                      Gaetano Giunta
                    • Stephen M. McKamey
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 22, 2007
                        I just updated the JsonML UI builder script to allow a filter
                        callback similar to the JSON filter. The usefulness here is that as
                        a DOM tree is built out from a JsonML structure, each node can be
                        either filtered or modified before it is returned. This is an easy
                        way to attach unobtrusive javascript and Ajax hooks.

                        http://jsonml.org

                        Thanks,
                        smm

                        P.S. I plan to have some examples soon.