JSON Schema

  • Pradhap Nirmal Natarajan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2006
      Hi All,
      I am wondering if there is anything called as JSON Schema and a
      validator to validate my JSON data. I use a lot of nested JSON data and
      it takes more time to find out the problem in my apps, which is most of
      the times *key name mismatches* in the data sent from server or the
      javascript code that uses it. It will be great if we can have some
      schema and validator. Is there anything available already? Any directions?

      Thanks
      ~
      Prathap

    • Cheenu
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 16, 2006
        Last week somebody had posted this
        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/json/message/533

        You can also use the JSON Api's for various languages as validators.

        Cheenu

        On 10/16/06, Pradhap Nirmal Natarajan <prathapnirmal@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I am wondering if there is anything called as JSON Schema and a
        > validator to validate my JSON data. I use a lot of nested JSON data and
        > it takes more time to find out the problem in my apps, which is most of
        > the times *key name mismatches* in the data sent from server or the
        > javascript code that uses it. It will be great if we can have some
        > schema and validator. Is there anything available already? Any directions?
        >
        > Thanks
        > ~
        > Prathap

      • Pradhap Nirmal Natarajan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 16, 2006
          Thanks for the reply Cheenu,
          But I am looking for a simple validator. Say I write a schema, pass
          the json data and the schema to a validator written in any language ->
          which returns a result whether the data is valid or not. If not valid,
          what is the error?

          Thanks
          ~
          Prathap

          Cheenu wrote:

          > Last week somebody had posted this
          > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/json/message/533
          >
          > You can also use the JSON Api's for various languages as validators.
          >
          > Cheenu
          >
          > On 10/16/06, Pradhap Nirmal Natarajan <prathapnirmal@...
          > <mailto:prathapnirmal%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > > I am wondering if there is anything called as JSON Schema and a
          > > validator to validate my JSON data. I use a lot of nested JSON data and
          > > it takes more time to find out the problem in my apps, which is most of
          > > the times *key name mismatches* in the data sent from server or the
          > > javascript code that uses it. It will be great if we can have some
          > > schema and validator. Is there anything available already? Any
          > directions?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > ~
          > > Prathap

        • graham615
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2006
            I am looking to do the same thing. I am looking at Gold Parser. I
            need to get a BNF description of JSON. Gold parser will create the
            parse tables then the engine will use this to validate and parse the
            input. Anyone have BNF for JSON?

            Graham............

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Pradhap Nirmal Natarajan
            <prathapnirmal@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the reply Cheenu,
            > But I am looking for a simple validator. Say I write a schema, pass
            > the json data and the schema to a validator written in any language ->
            > which returns a result whether the data is valid or not. If not valid,
            > what is the error?
            >
            > Thanks
            > ~
            > Prathap
            >
            > Cheenu wrote:
            > >
            > > Last week somebody had posted this
            > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/json/message/533
            > >
            > > You can also use the JSON Api's for various languages as validators.
            > >
            > > Cheenu
            > >
            > > On 10/16/06, Pradhap Nirmal Natarajan <prathapnirmal@...
            > > <mailto:prathapnirmal%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi All,
            > > > I am wondering if there is anything called as JSON Schema and a
            > > > validator to validate my JSON data. I use a lot of nested JSON
            data and
            > > > it takes more time to find out the problem in my apps, which is
            most of
            > > > the times *key name mismatches* in the data sent from server or the
            > > > javascript code that uses it. It will be great if we can have some
            > > > schema and validator. Is there anything available already? Any
            > > directions?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > > ~
            > > > Prathap

          • kriszyp
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
              I have been working on putting together a proposal for a JSON Schema. I
              have been collaborating with some others, but I wanted to elicit
              feedback, input, and suggestions from the JSON group. The current
              proposal which is definitely still a work in progress is at:
              http://www.json.com/json-schema-proposal/
              and some questions/issues are at:
              http://www.json.com/2007/10/02/json-schema-proposal-rfc/

              JSON Schema is a specification for a JSON-based format for defining the
              structure of JSON data. JSON Schema provides a contract for what JSON
              data is required for a given application and how it can be modified,
              much like what XML Schema provides for XML. JSON Schema is intended to
              provide validation, documentation, and interaction control of JSON data.
            • Kris Zyp
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
                For those interested, JSON Schema has been submitted as an Internet
                Draft to the IETF:
                http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zyp-json-schema-01

                -- Kris Zyp SitePen (503) 806-1841 http://sitepen.com