Re: [json] json.js breaks for-in loops

  • Tom Metro
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2006
      Peter Michaux wrote:
      > By extending the Object.prototype with the new property toJSONString I
      > can no longer use for-in loops in my JavaScript.

      As another poster mentioned, using hasOwnProperty(), is the way to make
      the intended behavior work. My understanding is that hasOwnProperty()
      isn't widely supported yet.

      > Has someone released a version of JSON that doesn't do this?

      I thought I remembered seeing a version that had a flag controlling
      whether the methods got added to the stock objects, but clearly that
      isn't in the current version of the code. I think I was thinking of
      another library... It'd be a worthy enhancement for the json.js library.

      > Is it just as simple as changing these
      > Object.prototype.toJSONString = function () {
      > to something like
      > JSON.objectToJSONString = function () {

      It looks like that should work. The code itself doesn't seem to
      recursively use those method names, instead using s[object type] internally.

      -Tom

      --
      Tom Metro
      Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14, 2006
        It's easy to modify json.js so it doesn't extend Object.prototype. That was a
        bad design in my opinion.

        The version I use is attached.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 14, 2006
          On 10/14/06, Scott Chapman <scott_list@...> wrote:

          > It's easy to modify json.js so it doesn't extend Object.prototype. That
          > was a
          > bad design in my opinion.

          It's not just exceptionally bad design, it's chronically inconsiderate
          programming. Nobody could use that code inside portlets, because they'd risk
          breaking any and all other JavaScript on the same portal page over which
          they have no control. Even outside a portal environment, it's going to break
          other libraries that developers might already be using, not to mention their
          own code.

          The version I use is attached.

          > Scott
          >
          > Peter Michaux wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > By extending the Object.prototype with the new property toJSONString I
          > > can no longer use for-in loops in my JavaScript.
          > >
          > > Has someone released a version of JSON that doesn't do this?
          > >
          > > Is it just as simple as changing these
          > >
          > > Object.prototype.toJSONString = function () {
          > > Array.prototype.toJSONString = function () {
          > > String.prototype.parseJSON = function () {
          > >
          > > to something like
          > >
          > > JSON.objectToJSONString = function () {
          > > JSON.arrayToJSONString = function () {
          > > JSON.parseJSON = function () {
          > >
          > > or are their other catches that I have missed?
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > Peter

        • Stephen M. McKamey
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Tom Metro <tmetro+json@...> wrote:

            > Peter Michaux wrote:
            > > By extending the Object.prototype with the new property
            toJSONString I
            > > can no longer use for-in loops in my JavaScript.
            >
            > As another poster mentioned, using hasOwnProperty(), is the way to
            make
            > the intended behavior work. My understanding is that hasOwnProperty()
            > isn't widely supported yet.

            A little late to the conversation but... another alternative could be
            to use the typeof operator (assuming one was iterating over data):

            for(k in obj)
            if("function"!=typeof obj[k])
            foo(k);

            Thanks,
            smm
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
              On 11/13/06, Stephen M. McKamey <jsonml@...> wrote:

              > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Tom Metro <tmetro+json@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Peter Michaux wrote:
              > > > By extending the Object.prototype with the new property
              > toJSONString I
              > > > can no longer use for-in loops in my JavaScript.
              > >
              > > As another poster mentioned, using hasOwnProperty(), is the way to
              > make
              > > the intended behavior work. My understanding is that hasOwnProperty()
              > > isn't widely supported yet.
              >
              > A little late to the conversation but... another alternative could be
              > to use the typeof operator (assuming one was iterating over data):
              >
              > for(k in obj)
              > if("function"!=typeof obj[k])
              > foo(k);

              Sure - if the for loop is in your own code, and not some other package that
              you're just trying to make use of.

              This issue really needs to be fixed in the JSON code, since there's no way
              you can rely on it being fixed in all the other code out there that you
              might want to use.

              Thanks,
              > smm

            • Stephen M. McKamey
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
                // This should do what you are asking for while staying
                // current with Crockford's latest code:

                // after json.js has loaded...
                // define a namespace to minimize footprint
                var JSON = {};

                // add all of the methods
                JSON.arrayToJSONString = Array.prototype.toJSONString;
                JSON.booleanToJSONString = Boolean.prototype.toJSONString;
                JSON.dateToJSONString = Date.prototype.toJSONString;
                JSON.numberToJSONString = Number.prototype.toJSONString;
                JSON.objectToJSONString = Object.prototype.toJSONString;
                JSON.stringToJSONString = String.prototype.toJSONString;
                JSON.parseJSON = String.prototype.parseJSON;

                // remove all the methods from intrinsic objects
                delete(Array.prototype.toJSONString);
                delete(Boolean.prototype.toJSONString);
                delete(Date.prototype.toJSONString);
                delete(Number.prototype.toJSONString);
                delete(Object.prototype.toJSONString);
                delete(String.prototype.toJSONString);
                delete(String.prototype.parseJSON);

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
                  On 11/13/06, Stephen M. McKamey <jsonml@...> wrote:

                  > // This should do what you are asking for while staying
                  > // current with Crockford's latest code:

                  Right. But I don't understand the resistance (or, actually, just lack of any
                  feedback at all) to having the kind of solution I described before (in
                  another thread) incorporated into the original source code, so that we don't
                  have to be going and deleting things like that. Here's what I suggested
                  before, which is largely the same as yours, except that mine avoids creation
                  where yours utilises deletion and is necessarily separate (and hence a
                  little less easily maintained) from the original:

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
                    JavaScript is an imperfect language. The weird interaction between
                    augmentation of prototypes with the for..in statement is evidence of
                    this. This defect in the language requires that for..in blocks
                    explicitly filter out unwanted stuff that is dredged up from the
                    prototype chain. See http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/09/26/for-in-intrigue/

                    json.js provides the same API that will be built into ECMAScript
                    Fourth Edition. That means that if your program works with json.js,
                    then it will work even better when the language is revised.

                    Some people do not have the luxury of being forward looking. They have
                    to work with bad code that does not filter for..in, or they claim the
                    right to write bad code themselves. Those people should not be using
                    json.js. Fortunately, JSON encoding and decoding is so easy, there
                    isn't much effort required to make an implementation that works with
                    bad code.

                    JSON is a standard data representation. The json.js implementation is
                    not the standard. It is a reference implementation. You are free to
                    use it in any way that you want, or to not use it.