A heavy-weight alternative to JSON : JSONML (a standard for fun)

  • Mert Sakarya
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2006
      Today, I thought of an XML representation for JSON and I came up with something like;

      //Sample JSONML xml file
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <Object xmlns=http://jsonml.org/1.0 xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
      xsi:schemaLocation="http://jsonml.org/1.0
      JSONML.xsd">
      <Property Name="SimpleProperty">Any Text Here</Property>
      <Property Name="EmptyProperty"/>
      <Property Name="ObjectProperty">
      <Object>
      <Property Name="AnotherObjectProperty">value</Property>
      </Object>
      </Property>
      <Property Name="ArrayProperty">
      <Array>
      <Item>A text Item</Item>
      <Item>
      <Array>
      <Item>Jagged Array Item</Item>
      </Array>
      </Item>
      <Item>
      <Object>
      <Property Name="Property">An object in an array.</Property>
      </Object>
      </Item>
      </Array>
      </Property>
      <Property Name="Property1">Any Text Here</Property>
      </Object>

      //The xsd schema definition for JSONML (JSONML.xsd)
      <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://jsonml.org/1.0" targetNamespace=http://jsonml.org/1.0 elementFormDefault="qualified">
      <xs:element name="Object" type="BaseObjectType"/>
      <xs:element name="Property" type="BasePropertyType" />
      <xs:element name="Array" type="BaseArrayType"/>
      <xs:element name="Item" type="BasePropertyType"/>

      <xs:complexType name="BaseArrayType">
      <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element ref="Item" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
      </xs:sequence>
      </xs:complexType>
      <xs:complexType name="BasePropertyType" mixed="true">
      <xs:element ref="Object"/>
      <xs:element ref="Array"/>
      </xs:choice>
      </xs:complexType>
      <xs:complexType name="BaseObjectType">
      <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element ref="Property" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
      </xs:sequence>
      <xs:attribute name="Name" use="optional"/>
      </xs:complexType>
      </xs:schema>

      I hope, the indentation and fonts are displayed well on this message, because it took five (or more) minutes to format this message on Hotmail. I just realized that, I could type this message on some editor and paste later. Duh!

      Regards,
      Mert
    • Justin Day

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2006
          in the spirit of not reinventing the weel every time, you might as well take the xml-rpc xml, strip off datetime, int and base64 and add null, and you're done