Re: [json] JSON.pm perl module, utf-8 and the UTF8 flag

  • Philip Tellis
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2006
      Sometime Today, MJE cobbled together some glyphs to say:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I can see that a $JSON::UTF8 flag has been added to 1.07 of JSON.pm which is
      > described as:
      >
      > You can set a true value into $JSON::UTF8 for JSON::Parser and
      > JSON::Converter to set UTF8 flag into strings contain utf8.

      I've had problems with JSON.pm and UTF8 on perl 5.6. I'd submitted a
      patch about this here:

      OTOH, we've seen that JSON.pm has really bad performance. YAML::Syck
      appears to be far more performant, probably because it's mainly written
      in C.

      Philip

      --
      Order and simplification are the first steps toward mastery of a subject
      -- the actual enemy is the unknown.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2006
        On 28-Sep-2006 Philip Tellis wrote:
        > Sometime Today, MJE cobbled together some glyphs to say:
        >
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I can see that a $JSON::UTF8 flag has been added to 1.07 of JSON.pm which is
        >> described as:
        >>
        >> You can set a true value into $JSON::UTF8 for JSON::Parser and
        >> JSON::Converter to set UTF8 flag into strings contain utf8.
        >
        > I've had problems with JSON.pm and UTF8 on perl 5.6. I'd submitted a
        > patch about this here:
        > http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=19646
        >
        > OTOH, we've seen that JSON.pm has really bad performance. YAML::Syck
        > appears to be far more performant, probably because it's mainly written
        > in C.
        >
        > Philip

        Thanks for the reference Philip.

        I am actually using perl 5.8.8 so I had not seen any problem.

        I tried JSON::Syck and have seen it is faster but I didn't like the fact that
        the default behavior does not work with utf-8 strings i.e. If you change the
        script I previously posted to use JSON::Syck when the utf-8 encoded JSON data
        is read back from the file it is now double utf-8 encoded. I realise that
        $JSON::Syck::ImplicitUnicode works around this.

        Martin
        --
        Martin J. Evans
        Easysoft Ltd, UK