RE: [json] JSON is lightweight

  • Mert Sakarya
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
      Can we say;

      A CSV file is "lighterweight" and binary compressed file "lightestweight"?

      Mert

      To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom: ask@...: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 05:00:30 -0700Subject: Re: [json] JSON is lightweight

      On Sep 18, 2006, at 4:46, Sergei Karasiov wrote:> I want to understand a word "lightweight" in JSON description - in > context of data interchange.>> Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...XML.-- http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/

    • V. Karthik Kumar
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
        1. A CSV is useful for defining relational data ... but doesn't fit as a
        object language because it doesn't support the conceps of objects as
        such. But yeah, it is an accepted lightweight notation.
        2. Binary files aren't practically useful either, unless they define
        things like endianness and encoding. Besides, they aren't easy to create
        by a user using a text editor (and hence have to be read/written
        programmatically).
        3. Compression isn't the consideration here, considering any text
        stream, while transmitting, can be compressed with a decent string
        algorithm.

        A "lightweight" text format is a good option, if it:

        1. does object marshalling
        2. is capable of representing most basic data primitives
        3. avoids data bloat
        4. avoids feature overkill (like how XML has become of now)
        5. is easy to create and view
        6. is easy to parse and use in a variety of programs (memory footprint
        is an excellent indicator, compare a JSON parser and a DOM 2 parser)

        Now whatever fits the description is viable to compete with JSON.

        Mert Sakarya wrote:

        > Can we say;
        >
        > A CSV file is "lighterweight" and binary compressed file "lightestweight"?
        >
        > Mert
        >
        > To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom <mailto:json%40yahoogroups.comFrom>:
        > ask@... <mailto:ask%40develooper.comDate>: Mon, 18 Sep
        > 2006 05:00:30 -0700Subject: Re: [json] JSON is lightweight
        >
        > On Sep 18, 2006, at 4:46, Sergei Karasiov wrote:> I want to understand
        > a word "lightweight" in JSON description - in > context of data
        > interchange.>> Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...XML.--
        > http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/ <http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/>

      • Philip Tellis
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
          Sometime Today, MS cobbled together some glyphs to say:

          > A CSV file is "lighterweight" and binary compressed file "lightestweight"?

          yes, but csv doesn't easily allow for complex data types and compressed
          binary is just hard to parse. when dealing with browsers and web
          servers, gzip transfer encoded json is the lightest weight.

          --
          Two wrights don't make a rong, they make an airplane. Or bicycles.
        • Mert Sakarya
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
            Agreed!

            To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom: karthikkumar@...: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:36:02 +0530Subject: Re: [json] JSON is lightweight

            1. A CSV is useful for defining relational data ... but doesn't fit as a object language because it doesn't support the conceps of objects as such. But yeah, it is an accepted lightweight notation.2. Binary files aren't practically useful either, unless they define things like endianness and encoding. Besides, they aren't easy to create by a user using a text editor (and hence have to be read/written programmatically).3. Compression isn't the consideration here, considering any text stream, while transmitting, can be compressed with a decent string algorithm.A "lightweight" text format is a good option, if it:1. does object marshalling2. is capable of representing most basic data primitives3. avoids data bloat4. avoids feature overkill (like how XML has become of now)5. is easy to create and view6. is easy to parse and use in a variety of programs (memory footprint is an excellent indicator, compare a JSON parser and a DOM 2 parser)Now whatever fits the description is viable to compete with JSON.Mert Sakarya wrote:>> Can we say;>> A CSV file is "lighterweight" and binary compressed file "lightestweight"?>> Mert>> To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom <mailto:json%40yahoogroups.comFrom>: > ask@... <mailto:ask%40develooper.comDate>: Mon, 18 Sep > 2006 05:00:30 -0700Subject: Re: [json] JSON is lightweight>> On Sep 18, 2006, at 4:46, Sergei Karasiov wrote:> I want to understand > a word "lightweight" in JSON description - in > context of data > interchange.>> Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...XML.-- > http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/ <http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/>>> __________________________________________________________> Use Messenger to talk to your IM friends, even those on Yahoo!> http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=7adb59de-a857-45ba-81cc-685ee3e858fe > <http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=7adb59de-a857-45ba-81cc-685ee3e858fe>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>