JSON is lightweight

  • Sergei Karasiov
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
      Hi,
      I want to understand a word "lightweight" in
      JSON description - in context of data interchange.

      Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...

      What does this word really mean?

      WBR, SK

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ask Bjørn Hansen
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
        On Sep 18, 2006, at 4:46, Sergei Karasiov wrote:

        > I want to understand a word "lightweight" in JSON description - in
        > context of data interchange.
        >
        > Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...

        XML.

        --
        http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/
      • V. Karthik Kumar
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
          I'd say JSON is pretty simple and avoids XML bloat: DTDs, XSDs, RDFs etc
          and their parsing overheads.

          Sergei Karasiov wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I want to understand a word "lightweight" in
          > JSON description - in context of data interchange.
          >
          > Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...
          >
          > What does this word really mean?
          >
          > WBR, SK

        • Mert Sakarya
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
            Can we say;

            A CSV file is "lighterweight" and binary compressed file "lightestweight"?

            Mert

            To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom: ask@...: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 05:00:30 -0700Subject: Re: [json] JSON is lightweight

            On Sep 18, 2006, at 4:46, Sergei Karasiov wrote:> I want to understand a word "lightweight" in JSON description - in > context of data interchange.>> Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...XML.-- http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/

          • V. Karthik Kumar
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
              1. A CSV is useful for defining relational data ... but doesn't fit as a
              object language because it doesn't support the conceps of objects as
              such. But yeah, it is an accepted lightweight notation.
              2. Binary files aren't practically useful either, unless they define
              things like endianness and encoding. Besides, they aren't easy to create
              by a user using a text editor (and hence have to be read/written
              programmatically).
              3. Compression isn't the consideration here, considering any text
              stream, while transmitting, can be compressed with a decent string
              algorithm.

              A "lightweight" text format is a good option, if it:

              1. does object marshalling
              2. is capable of representing most basic data primitives
              3. avoids data bloat
              4. avoids feature overkill (like how XML has become of now)
              5. is easy to create and view
              6. is easy to parse and use in a variety of programs (memory footprint
              is an excellent indicator, compare a JSON parser and a DOM 2 parser)

              Now whatever fits the description is viable to compete with JSON.

              Mert Sakarya wrote:

              > Can we say;
              >
              > A CSV file is "lighterweight" and binary compressed file "lightestweight"?
              >
              > Mert
              >
              > To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom <mailto:json%40yahoogroups.comFrom>:
              > ask@... <mailto:ask%40develooper.comDate>: Mon, 18 Sep
              > 2006 05:00:30 -0700Subject: Re: [json] JSON is lightweight
              >
              > On Sep 18, 2006, at 4:46, Sergei Karasiov wrote:> I want to understand
              > a word "lightweight" in JSON description - in > context of data
              > interchange.>> Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...XML.--
              > http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/ <http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/>

            • Philip Tellis
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
                Sometime Today, MS cobbled together some glyphs to say:

                > A CSV file is "lighterweight" and binary compressed file "lightestweight"?

                yes, but csv doesn't easily allow for complex data types and compressed
                binary is just hard to parse. when dealing with browsers and web
                servers, gzip transfer encoded json is the lightest weight.

                --
                Two wrights don't make a rong, they make an airplane. Or bicycles.
              • Mert Sakarya
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
                  Agreed!

                  To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom: karthikkumar@...: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:36:02 +0530Subject: Re: [json] JSON is lightweight

                  1. A CSV is useful for defining relational data ... but doesn't fit as a object language because it doesn't support the conceps of objects as such. But yeah, it is an accepted lightweight notation.2. Binary files aren't practically useful either, unless they define things like endianness and encoding. Besides, they aren't easy to create by a user using a text editor (and hence have to be read/written programmatically).3. Compression isn't the consideration here, considering any text stream, while transmitting, can be compressed with a decent string algorithm.A "lightweight" text format is a good option, if it:1. does object marshalling2. is capable of representing most basic data primitives3. avoids data bloat4. avoids feature overkill (like how XML has become of now)5. is easy to create and view6. is easy to parse and use in a variety of programs (memory footprint is an excellent indicator, compare a JSON parser and a DOM 2 parser)Now whatever fits the description is viable to compete with JSON.Mert Sakarya wrote:>> Can we say;>> A CSV file is "lighterweight" and binary compressed file "lightestweight"?>> Mert>> To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom <mailto:json%40yahoogroups.comFrom>: > ask@... <mailto:ask%40develooper.comDate>: Mon, 18 Sep > 2006 05:00:30 -0700Subject: Re: [json] JSON is lightweight>> On Sep 18, 2006, at 4:46, Sergei Karasiov wrote:> I want to understand > a word "lightweight" in JSON description - in > context of data > interchange.>> Give me example of "huge-weight" - or so...XML.-- > http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/ <http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/>>> __________________________________________________________> Use Messenger to talk to your IM friends, even those on Yahoo!> http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=7adb59de-a857-45ba-81cc-685ee3e858fe > <http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=7adb59de-a857-45ba-81cc-685ee3e858fe>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>