json

  • Roland H. Alden
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
      So how does this JSON thing compare to this:

      http://microformats.org/

      Inquiring minds want to know.
    • Marc Canter
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
        Well what I would say is:

        - microformats are xHTML tags - intended on providing standards for
        new forms of structured data

        - JSON = I haven't the foggiest - just got here (common data
        interchange verbs?) (OpenAPIs???)

        What IS JSON?

        _____

        So how does this JSON thing compare to this:

        http://microformats.org/

        Inquiring minds want to know.

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        the web.

        _____

      • Michal Migurski
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
          > So how does this JSON thing compare to this:
          >
          > http://microformats.org/
          >
          > Inquiring minds want to know.

          Completely unrelated.

          JSON is a data encoding standard, while Microformats are an attempt
          to formalize certain common types of meaningful information (event
          listings, contact information, "tags", etc.) into HTML readable by
          people and machines.

          -mike.

          michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Roland H. Alden" <ralden@r...> wrote:
            > So how does this JSON thing compare to this:
            >
            > http://microformats.org/
            >
            > Inquiring minds want to know.

            microformats is layered on top of XML. JSON could replace the XML
            layer. JSON is used to represent values (string, numbers, booleans,
            null) in sequences (aka arrays) and collections of name/value pairs
            (aka objects).
          • Roland H. Alden
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
              > microformats is layered on top of XML. JSON could replace the XML
              > layer. JSON is used to represent values (string, numbers, booleans,
              > null) in sequences (aka arrays) and collections of name/value pairs
              > (aka objects).

              How is it compared to ASN.1?

              What's "JSON" stand for?
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005

                It is considerably simpler. It is described at http://www.JSON.org

                > What's "JSON" stand for?

                JavaScript Object Notation.
              • Nic Ferrier
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
                  "Roland H. Alden" <ralden@...> writes:

                  >> microformats is layered on top of XML. JSON could replace the XML
                  >> layer. JSON is used to represent values (string, numbers, booleans,
                  >> null) in sequences (aka arrays) and collections of name/value pairs
                  >> (aka objects).
                  >
                  > How is it compared to ASN.1?

                  It's quite a long way from ASN.1. ASN.1 is a data definition language
                  (a schema language if you like).

                  JSON is a data format.

                  ASN.1 is like XML-Schema and JSON is like XML.

                  > What's "JSON" stand for?

                  Top search on google tells you:

                  Introducing JSON
                  JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) is a lightweight data-interchange
                  format. ... These properties make JSON an ideal data-interchange
                  language. ...
                  www.json.org/ - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

                  Nic Ferrier
                  http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk