Re: AJAJ?

  • George
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
      No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async JSON
      And XUL

      http://www.georgenava.com/applauncher.php

      pure JSON and XUL, nothing else...

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@t...> wrote:
      > > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?
      > >
      > > A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
      > > asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
      > > JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.
      > >
      > > Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method
      > > rather
      > > than XmlHttpRequest and XML.
      >
      > I am - it's so much nicer to use than XML. I've used "AJAJ" for a few
      > client projects, and now I'm experimenting with JSON-RPC for a Free
      > feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
      > format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
      > statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.
      >
      > I wonder if anyone has exposed a REST-style JSON API in preference to
      > XML?
      >
      > On Aug 7, 2005, at 7:34 AM, F. Randall Farmer wrote:
      > > It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never
      > > heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-
      > > sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't
      > > at all connected to the early development.
      >
      > Funny, I've been pronouncing is Jay-Sawn this whole time. :)

      > michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
      > sf/ca http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html
    • Dale
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@t...> wrote:

        > feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
        > format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
        > statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.

        Flash _used_ to have a simplified method of passing variables. (Not
        saying that it still doesn't; just that I am not sure.) And it did not
        require eval.

        The <script> method also does not use eval either.
      • jemptymethod
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2005
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:
          > No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async
          JSON
          > And XUL
          >
          > http://www.georgenava.com/applauncher.php
          >
          > pure JSON and XUL, nothing else...

          George, you ought to contribute your alternative meaning for the AJAX
          acronym to the wikipedia's entry for the same ;)
        • Dale
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2005
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:
            > No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async
            > JSON And XUL

            Unless someone has finally written the XUL HTC for IE or an XSLT for
            XUL for non-Gecko browsers, XUL is too non-standard and niche for my
            needs.

            Interesting thought though is to pass a JSON structure and have it
            interpreted to XUL on the fly... I have done that with JS-to-HTML and
            XML-to-HTML (without XSLT). The lighter weight of JSON and its
            representation in memory makes it better suited than XML, that is for
            sure.
          • schwarz_interactive
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <code_ronin@y...> wrote:
              > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?

              Yes, I do, have a look at http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/.

              CIAO
              Michael