Re: [json] AJAJ?

  • Michal Migurski
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
      > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?
      >
      > A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
      > asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
      > JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.
      >
      > Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method
      > rather
      > than XmlHttpRequest and XML.

      I am - it's so much nicer to use than XML. I've used "AJAJ" for a few
      client projects, and now I'm experimenting with JSON-RPC for a Free
      feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
      format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
      statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.

      I wonder if anyone has exposed a REST-style JSON API in preference to
      XML?

      On Aug 7, 2005, at 7:34 AM, F. Randall Farmer wrote:
      > It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never
      > heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-
      > sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't
      > at all connected to the early development.

      Funny, I've been pronouncing is Jay-Sawn this whole time. :)

      michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
    • George
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
        No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async JSON
        And XUL

        http://www.georgenava.com/applauncher.php

        pure JSON and XUL, nothing else...

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@t...> wrote:
        > > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?
        > >
        > > A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
        > > asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
        > > JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.
        > >
        > > Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method
        > > rather
        > > than XmlHttpRequest and XML.
        >
        > I am - it's so much nicer to use than XML. I've used "AJAJ" for a few
        > client projects, and now I'm experimenting with JSON-RPC for a Free
        > feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
        > format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
        > statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.
        >
        > I wonder if anyone has exposed a REST-style JSON API in preference to
        > XML?
        >
        > On Aug 7, 2005, at 7:34 AM, F. Randall Farmer wrote:
        > > It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never
        > > heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-
        > > sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't
        > > at all connected to the early development.
        >
        > Funny, I've been pronouncing is Jay-Sawn this whole time. :)

        > michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
        > sf/ca http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html
      • Dale
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@t...> wrote:

          > feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
          > format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
          > statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.

          Flash _used_ to have a simplified method of passing variables. (Not
          saying that it still doesn't; just that I am not sure.) And it did not
          require eval.

          The <script> method also does not use eval either.
        • jemptymethod
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2005
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:
            > No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async
            JSON
            > And XUL
            >
            > http://www.georgenava.com/applauncher.php
            >
            > pure JSON and XUL, nothing else...

            George, you ought to contribute your alternative meaning for the AJAX
            acronym to the wikipedia's entry for the same ;)
          • Dale
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9, 2005
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:
              > No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async
              > JSON And XUL

              Unless someone has finally written the XUL HTC for IE or an XSLT for
              XUL for non-Gecko browsers, XUL is too non-standard and niche for my
              needs.

              Interesting thought though is to pass a JSON structure and have it
              interpreted to XUL on the fly... I have done that with JS-to-HTML and
              XML-to-HTML (without XSLT). The lighter weight of JSON and its
              representation in memory makes it better suited than XML, that is for
              sure.
            • schwarz_interactive
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <code_ronin@y...> wrote:
                > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?

                Yes, I do, have a look at http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/.

                CIAO
                Michael