Re: [json] AJAJ?

  • F. Randall Farmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
      I just got a sneak peek at Kiko.com (currently in pre-alpha, so you can't access their site.) They are developing a great AJAJ application. It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't at all connected to the early development.

      I should probably invite them to this list. :-)
      Yahoo! is also using JSON internally as well (esp. since Chip Morningstar joined the team.)

      Randy

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
        > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?
        >
        > A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
        > asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
        > JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.
        >
        > Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method
        > rather
        > than XmlHttpRequest and XML.

        I am - it's so much nicer to use than XML. I've used "AJAJ" for a few
        client projects, and now I'm experimenting with JSON-RPC for a Free
        feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
        format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
        statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.

        I wonder if anyone has exposed a REST-style JSON API in preference to
        XML?

        On Aug 7, 2005, at 7:34 AM, F. Randall Farmer wrote:
        > It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never
        > heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-
        > sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't
        > at all connected to the early development.

        Funny, I've been pronouncing is Jay-Sawn this whole time. :)

        michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
      • George
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
          No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async JSON
          And XUL

          http://www.georgenava.com/applauncher.php

          pure JSON and XUL, nothing else...

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@t...> wrote:
          > > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?
          > >
          > > A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
          > > asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
          > > JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.
          > >
          > > Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method
          > > rather
          > > than XmlHttpRequest and XML.
          >
          > I am - it's so much nicer to use than XML. I've used "AJAJ" for a few
          > client projects, and now I'm experimenting with JSON-RPC for a Free
          > feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
          > format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
          > statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.
          >
          > I wonder if anyone has exposed a REST-style JSON API in preference to
          > XML?
          >
          > On Aug 7, 2005, at 7:34 AM, F. Randall Farmer wrote:
          > > It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never
          > > heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-
          > > sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't
          > > at all connected to the early development.
          >
          > Funny, I've been pronouncing is Jay-Sawn this whole time. :)

          > michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
          > sf/ca http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html
        • Dale
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@t...> wrote:

            > feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
            > format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
            > statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.

            Flash _used_ to have a simplified method of passing variables. (Not
            saying that it still doesn't; just that I am not sure.) And it did not
            require eval.

            The <script> method also does not use eval either.
          • jemptymethod
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2005
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:
              > No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async
              JSON
              > And XUL
              >
              > http://www.georgenava.com/applauncher.php
              >
              > pure JSON and XUL, nothing else...

              George, you ought to contribute your alternative meaning for the AJAX
              acronym to the wikipedia's entry for the same ;)
            • Dale
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2005
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:
                > No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async
                > JSON And XUL

                Unless someone has finally written the XUL HTC for IE or an XSLT for
                XUL for non-Gecko browsers, XUL is too non-standard and niche for my
                needs.

                Interesting thought though is to pass a JSON structure and have it
                interpreted to XUL on the fly... I have done that with JS-to-HTML and
                XML-to-HTML (without XSLT). The lighter weight of JSON and its
                representation in memory makes it better suited than XML, that is for
                sure.
              • schwarz_interactive
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <code_ronin@y...> wrote:
                  > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?

                  Yes, I do, have a look at http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/.

                  CIAO
                  Michael