AJAJ?

  • Dale
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
      Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?

      A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
      asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
      JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.

      Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method rather
      than XmlHttpRequest and XML.
    • F. Randall Farmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
        I just got a sneak peek at Kiko.com (currently in pre-alpha, so you can't access their site.) They are developing a great AJAJ application. It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't at all connected to the early development.

        I should probably invite them to this list. :-)
        Yahoo! is also using JSON internally as well (esp. since Chip Morningstar joined the team.)

        Randy

        Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?

        A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
        asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
        JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.

        Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method rather
        than XmlHttpRequest and XML.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Michal Migurski
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
          > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?
          >
          > A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
          > asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
          > JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.
          >
          > Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method
          > rather
          > than XmlHttpRequest and XML.

          I am - it's so much nicer to use than XML. I've used "AJAJ" for a few
          client projects, and now I'm experimenting with JSON-RPC for a Free
          feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
          format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
          statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.

          I wonder if anyone has exposed a REST-style JSON API in preference to
          XML?

          On Aug 7, 2005, at 7:34 AM, F. Randall Farmer wrote:
          > It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never
          > heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-
          > sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't
          > at all connected to the early development.

          Funny, I've been pronouncing is Jay-Sawn this whole time. :)

          michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
        • George
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
            No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async JSON
            And XUL

            http://www.georgenava.com/applauncher.php

            pure JSON and XUL, nothing else...

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@t...> wrote:
            > > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?
            > >
            > > A couple of years ago I used dynamic <script> elements to communicate
            > > asynchronously with the server-side, but I did not specifically use
            > > JSON for data exchage; I simply sent back JavaScript.
            > >
            > > Just wondering if anyone out there was using this type of method
            > > rather
            > > than XmlHttpRequest and XML.
            >
            > I am - it's so much nicer to use than XML. I've used "AJAJ" for a few
            > client projects, and now I'm experimenting with JSON-RPC for a Free
            > feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
            > format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
            > statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.
            >
            > I wonder if anyone has exposed a REST-style JSON API in preference to
            > XML?
            >
            > On Aug 7, 2005, at 7:34 AM, F. Randall Farmer wrote:
            > > It was interesting to hear someone else pronounce JSON who'd never
            > > heard it when it was coined: Jay-Sawn instead of the original Jay-
            > > sen. It was great to accedentally meet someone using it that isn't
            > > at all connected to the early development.
            >
            > Funny, I've been pronouncing is Jay-Sawn this whole time. :)

            > michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
            > sf/ca http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html
          • Dale
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2005
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@t...> wrote:

              > feed reading application I help maintain. It seems like a natural
              > format to use with Flash as well, but Actionscript lacks an eval()
              > statement so it would take some extra work to get up and running.

              Flash _used_ to have a simplified method of passing variables. (Not
              saying that it still doesn't; just that I am not sure.) And it did not
              require eval.

              The <script> method also does not use eval either.
            • jemptymethod
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8, 2005
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:
                > No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async
                JSON
                > And XUL
                >
                > http://www.georgenava.com/applauncher.php
                >
                > pure JSON and XUL, nothing else...

                George, you ought to contribute your alternative meaning for the AJAX
                acronym to the wikipedia's entry for the same ;)
              • Dale
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 9, 2005
                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:
                  > No need to rename it, as I have always said, AJAX goes for Async
                  > JSON And XUL

                  Unless someone has finally written the XUL HTC for IE or an XSLT for
                  XUL for non-Gecko browsers, XUL is too non-standard and niche for my
                  needs.

                  Interesting thought though is to pass a JSON structure and have it
                  interpreted to XUL on the fly... I have done that with JS-to-HTML and
                  XML-to-HTML (without XSLT). The lighter weight of JSON and its
                  representation in memory makes it better suited than XML, that is for
                  sure.
                • schwarz_interactive
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <code_ronin@y...> wrote:
                    > Anyone using JSON as a replacement for XML in an AJAX-like project?

                    Yes, I do, have a look at http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/.

                    CIAO
                    Michael