Re: [json] Re: JSON text not parsing on FireFox

  • Ashwin Prabhu
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
      Hi Doug,

      My understanding of JSON was that you need to form a Text in such way
      that, when we create a JSON object using 'eval', then we can
      traverse its properties using aJSONObject.attributeName.
      So instead of returning XML and parsing it (which i have done before
      in javascript ), i am returning this text and then converting it
      into a JSON object.
      Am i thinking wrong! Please correct me.

      Thanks.

      - Ashwin

      On Jun 13, 2006, at 9:02 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

      >> With quotes FireFox is throwing an error as 'invalidLabel', when the
      >> 'eval' method is called.
      >
      > Why are you using eval?

      > ~-->
      > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
      > See how.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM

    • Michal Migurski
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
        > My understanding of JSON was that you need to form a Text in such way
        > that, when we create a JSON object using 'eval', then we can
        > traverse its properties using aJSONObject.attributeName.
        > So instead of returning XML and parsing it (which i have done before
        > in javascript ), i am returning this text and then converting it
        > into a JSON object.
        > Am i thinking wrong! Please correct me.
        It would be helpful to have some more context; the first snippet you
        sent was just plain old Javascript, and didn't show how you're using
        eval().

        -mike.

        michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
      • Matthew Morley
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
          Perhaps he is asking why you aren't using:

          http://json.org/json.js
          string.parseJSON()

          This method parses a JSON text to produce an object or
          array. It will return false if there is an error.
          --
          Matt (MPCM)
        • keelypavan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
            Ashwin,

            This confusion came up because in the sample code you provided:

            > myJSONtext = {user: {errorFirstName:"", errorLastName:"",
            > errorEmail:"The email address you entered is not valid." } };

            You directly have Javascript statement for object and there was no
            need for 'eval'ing it. That was Doug's point.

            Pavan Keely

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps he is asking why you aren't using:
            >
            > http://json.org/json.js
            > string.parseJSON()
            >
            > This method parses a JSON text to produce an object or
            > array. It will return false if there is an error.
            > --
            > Matt (MPCM)

          • Todd Kingham
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
              Ashwin,

              It sounds like either your eval() statement is incorrect or your JSON string
              is malformatted.

              Below is a simple example of some JSON written in JavaScript that I know
              will work in Firefox.

              var JSONstr = '{keyOne:"Alpha",keyTwo:"Omega"}';
              var JSONvar = eval('('+JSONstr+')');
              alert(JSONvar.keyOne);

              This should work if you replace the JSONstr variable I'm setting here with a
              JSON string dynamically built on the server and passed in.

              HTH,
              -Todd

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006
                Hey Guys,

                Thanks very much for all the clarifications. i think, i know what i
                was doing wrong.
                As for parseJSON, yup i will using that.

                Thanks again!

                - Ashwin