Re: JSON text not parsing on FireFox

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13 9:02 PM
      > With quotes FireFox is throwing an error as 'invalidLabel', when the
      > 'eval' method is called.

      Why are you using eval?
    • Ashwin Prabhu
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15 11:40 AM
        Hi Doug,

        My understanding of JSON was that you need to form a Text in such way
        that, when we create a JSON object using 'eval', then we can
        traverse its properties using aJSONObject.attributeName.
        So instead of returning XML and parsing it (which i have done before
        in javascript ), i am returning this text and then converting it
        into a JSON object.
        Am i thinking wrong! Please correct me.

        Thanks.

        - Ashwin

        On Jun 13, 2006, at 9:02 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

        >> With quotes FireFox is throwing an error as 'invalidLabel', when the
        >> 'eval' method is called.
        >
        > Why are you using eval?

        > ~-->
        > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
        > See how.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM

      • Michal Migurski
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15 12:00 PM
          > My understanding of JSON was that you need to form a Text in such way
          > that, when we create a JSON object using 'eval', then we can
          > traverse its properties using aJSONObject.attributeName.
          > So instead of returning XML and parsing it (which i have done before
          > in javascript ), i am returning this text and then converting it
          > into a JSON object.
          > Am i thinking wrong! Please correct me.
          It would be helpful to have some more context; the first snippet you
          sent was just plain old Javascript, and didn't show how you're using
          eval().

          -mike.

          michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
        • Matthew Morley
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15 12:05 PM
            Perhaps he is asking why you aren't using:

            http://json.org/json.js
            string.parseJSON()

            This method parses a JSON text to produce an object or
            array. It will return false if there is an error.
            --
            Matt (MPCM)
          • keelypavan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15 12:08 PM
              Ashwin,

              This confusion came up because in the sample code you provided:

              > myJSONtext = {user: {errorFirstName:"", errorLastName:"",
              > errorEmail:"The email address you entered is not valid." } };

              You directly have Javascript statement for object and there was no
              need for 'eval'ing it. That was Doug's point.

              Pavan Keely

              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...> wrote:

              > Perhaps he is asking why you aren't using:
              >
              > http://json.org/json.js
              > string.parseJSON()
              >
              > This method parses a JSON text to produce an object or
              > array. It will return false if there is an error.
              > --
              > Matt (MPCM)

            • Todd Kingham
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15 12:14 PM
                Ashwin,

                It sounds like either your eval() statement is incorrect or your JSON string
                is malformatted.

                Below is a simple example of some JSON written in JavaScript that I know
                will work in Firefox.

                var JSONstr = '{keyOne:"Alpha",keyTwo:"Omega"}';
                var JSONvar = eval('('+JSONstr+')');
                alert(JSONvar.keyOne);

                This should work if you replace the JSONstr variable I'm setting here with a
                JSON string dynamically built on the server and passed in.

                HTH,
                -Todd

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 16 8:55 AM
                  Hey Guys,

                  Thanks very much for all the clarifications. i think, i know what i
                  was doing wrong.
                  As for parseJSON, yup i will using that.

                  Thanks again!

                  - Ashwin