JSON text not parsing on FireFox

  • Ashwin Prabhu
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 12 3:39 PM
      Hi,

      My JSON text looks as below:

      myJSONtext = {user: {errorFirstName:"", errorLastName:"",
      errorEmail:"The email address you entered is not valid." } };

      But when i try to fetch the values it gives an error as
      invalidLabel.. not sure why this is happening?
      Value is fetched as myJSONtext.user.errorFirstName.

      Also i tried creating an array as in the example on http://
      www.json.org/js.html

      But still it gives myJSONtext.user has no properties.

      Any hint what am i doing wrong.

      - Ashwin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 12 4:40 PM
        On 6/12/06, Ashwin Prabhu <aprabhu1@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > My JSON text looks as below:
        >
        > myJSONtext = {user: {errorFirstName:"", errorLastName:"",
        > errorEmail:"The email address you entered is not valid." } };
        >
        > But when i try to fetch the values it gives an error as
        > invalidLabel.. not sure why this is happening?

        It works fine for me in Firebug. You didn't provide any surrounding code,
        but are you sure myJSONtext is still in scope when you're trying to access
        it?

        Value is fetched as myJSONtext.user.errorFirstName.

        > Also i tried creating an array as in the example on http://
        > www.json.org/js.html
        >
        > But still it gives myJSONtext.user has no properties.
        >
        > Any hint what am i doing wrong.
        >
        > - Ashwin

      • henrik hjelte
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 13 9:31 AM
          This is javascript code, not JSON. Keys should have surrounding quotes
          in JSON.

          {"user": {"errorFirstName":"", "errorLastName::"", "errorEmail":"The
          email address you entered is not valid." } }

          /Henrik Hjelte

          On mån, 2006-06-12 at 22:39 +0000, Ashwin Prabhu wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > My JSON text looks as below:
          >
          > myJSONtext = {user: {errorFirstName:"", errorLastName:"",
          > errorEmail:"The email address you entered is not valid." } };
          >
          > But when i try to fetch the values it gives an error as
          > invalidLabel.. not sure why this is happening?
          > Value is fetched as myJSONtext.user.errorFirstName.
          >
          > Also i tried creating an array as in the example on http://
          > www.json.org/js.html
          >
          > But still it gives myJSONtext.user has no properties.
          >
          > Any hint what am i doing wrong.
          >
          > - Ashwin

        • Ashwin Prabhu
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 13 11:53 AM
            Hi Henrik and Martin,

            Thanks very much for your response.
            Without quotes its working for me.
            With quotes FireFox is throwing an error as 'invalidLabel', when the
            'eval' method is called.

            Things are working now :)

            - Ashwin

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 13 9:02 PM
              > With quotes FireFox is throwing an error as 'invalidLabel', when the
              > 'eval' method is called.

              Why are you using eval?
            • Ashwin Prabhu
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15 11:40 AM
                Hi Doug,

                My understanding of JSON was that you need to form a Text in such way
                that, when we create a JSON object using 'eval', then we can
                traverse its properties using aJSONObject.attributeName.
                So instead of returning XML and parsing it (which i have done before
                in javascript ), i am returning this text and then converting it
                into a JSON object.
                Am i thinking wrong! Please correct me.

                Thanks.

                - Ashwin

                On Jun 13, 2006, at 9:02 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

                >> With quotes FireFox is throwing an error as 'invalidLabel', when the
                >> 'eval' method is called.
                >
                > Why are you using eval?

                > ~-->
                > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
                > See how.
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM

              • Michal Migurski
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 15 12:00 PM
                  > My understanding of JSON was that you need to form a Text in such way
                  > that, when we create a JSON object using 'eval', then we can
                  > traverse its properties using aJSONObject.attributeName.
                  > So instead of returning XML and parsing it (which i have done before
                  > in javascript ), i am returning this text and then converting it
                  > into a JSON object.
                  > Am i thinking wrong! Please correct me.
                  It would be helpful to have some more context; the first snippet you
                  sent was just plain old Javascript, and didn't show how you're using
                  eval().

                  -mike.

                  michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
                • Matthew Morley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 15 12:05 PM
                    Perhaps he is asking why you aren't using:

                    http://json.org/json.js
                    string.parseJSON()

                    This method parses a JSON text to produce an object or
                    array. It will return false if there is an error.
                    --
                    Matt (MPCM)
                  • keelypavan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 15 12:08 PM
                      Ashwin,

                      This confusion came up because in the sample code you provided:

                      > myJSONtext = {user: {errorFirstName:"", errorLastName:"",
                      > errorEmail:"The email address you entered is not valid." } };

                      You directly have Javascript statement for object and there was no
                      need for 'eval'ing it. That was Doug's point.

                      Pavan Keely

                      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Morley" <WickedLogic@...> wrote:

                      > Perhaps he is asking why you aren't using:
                      >
                      > http://json.org/json.js
                      > string.parseJSON()
                      >
                      > This method parses a JSON text to produce an object or
                      > array. It will return false if there is an error.
                      > --
                      > Matt (MPCM)

                    • Todd Kingham
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 15 12:14 PM
                        Ashwin,

                        It sounds like either your eval() statement is incorrect or your JSON string
                        is malformatted.

                        Below is a simple example of some JSON written in JavaScript that I know
                        will work in Firefox.

                        var JSONstr = '{keyOne:"Alpha",keyTwo:"Omega"}';
                        var JSONvar = eval('('+JSONstr+')');
                        alert(JSONvar.keyOne);

                        This should work if you replace the JSONstr variable I'm setting here with a
                        JSON string dynamically built on the server and passed in.

                        HTH,
                        -Todd

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 16 8:55 AM
                          Hey Guys,

                          Thanks very much for all the clarifications. i think, i know what i
                          was doing wrong.
                          As for parseJSON, yup i will using that.

                          Thanks again!

                          - Ashwin